Why Not .270 WIn for LR?

IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2072.PNG
IMG_2087.PNG
+1 for the 270 Sherman. I'm shooting 170 Bergers at 3115fps out of a 27" rock creek 8 twist. It's been whacking and stacking mulies from 100-575 yards for a couple years now.

+1 for the 270 Sherman. I'm shooting 170 Bergers at 3115fps out of a 27" rock creek 8 twist. It's been whacking and stacking mulies from 100-575 yards for a couple years now.
For some reason I'd say they are working for you. ;)

For some reason I'd say they are working for you. ;)
4 shots for 4 deer so far. That rifle has a better record than any others I own to date on game. Been real happy with the bergers. They're a little destructive on bone but caliber entrance and 3/4-1 inch exit. Jelly inside. I did the 270 sherman to be different and am very happy with it.

4 shots for 4 deer so far. That rifle has a better record than any others I own to date on game. Been real happy with the bergers. They're a little destructive on bone but caliber entrance and 3/4-1 inch exit. Jelly inside. I did the 270 sherman to be different and am very happy with it.
The Shermans seem like a neat cartridge. Nice job!

The 270 is my fav caliber so I had my gunsmith build me one with the following instructions, Notice you will not see LR anywhere in this short set of instructions- Lightweight, mountain rifle that shoots great! That was it, and he did just that. I went with a 24" Benchmark #2 contour barrel and it shoots the 145 eld-x like they are built for my gun specifically! Unfortunately, due to some bad luck/karma, I have not taken an animal with this gun since having it built last year, but I can tell you that, once I topped it with a VX6-2x12 with CDS dial made for it, it has turned into, what I call, a great mid LR rifle. What I mean by mid LR is that out to 650yds so far, it has no issues banging 8" steel gongs. Long live the 270!

The 270 is my fav caliber so I had my gunsmith build me one with the following instructions, Notice you will not see LR anywhere in this short set of instructions- Lightweight, mountain rifle that shoots great! That was it, and he did just that. I went with a 24" Benchmark #2 contour barrel and it shoots the 145 eld-x like they are built for my gun specifically! Unfortunately, due to some bad luck/karma, I have not taken an animal with this gun since having it built last year, but I can tell you that, once I topped it with a VX6-2x12 with CDS dial made for it, it has turned into, what I call, a great mid LR rifle. What I mean by mid LR is that out to 650yds so far, it has no issues banging 8" steel gongs. Long live the 270!
Before everyone gets their brass in a twist, Yes, I know that this barrel heats up quickly and is not made for repeated firings without cooling it down. Again, my goal was a lightweight mountain rifle that shoots great!

View attachment 109579 View attachment 109580 View attachment 109577 View attachment 109578 +1 for the 270 Sherman. I'm shooting 170 Bergers at 3115fps out of a 27" rock creek 8 twist. It's been whacking and stacking mulies from 100-575 yards for a couple years now.
You mean you've been whacking those monster Muleys with out using 200 plus grain bullets behind 70 plus grains of powder...
Better not tell the magnum guys they'll **** razor blades.
Seriously though nice shooting to you and the ladies!
If we were smarter more of us would be shooting plain old fast twist 270's

You mean you've been whacking those monster Muleys with out using 200 plus grain bullets behind 70 plus grains of powder...
Better not tell the magnum guys they'll **** razor blades.
Seriously though nice shooting to you and the ladies!
If we were smarter more of us would be shooting plain old fast twist 270's
Haha I'm kinda one of the magnum guys too but the sherman is serving me well. Nothing wrong with a regular ol 270 either. I'd say a lot of LR rifles out there have aftermarket bbls anyhow so there's no real reason the 270 can't be as good as a custom of another flavor. Just get an appropriate twist for the appropriate LR bullets now that they're available.

.277 160 grain high BC bullet, 26 inch barrel, with 1:8 twist or so, long throat...would be nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_153130_kindlephoto-110922571.jpg
    IMG_20181030_153130_kindlephoto-110922571.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 187
The 270 Win. is a very good cartridge and one of our most popular ones, 93 years old and still going strong just like it's parent the 30-06. I have read Craig Boddington say it is one of the most underrated long rang cartridges we have, that it out preforms the 6.5 Creedmoor, the Creedmoor gets more favor for long rang shooting do to a little less recoil. A number of the LR bullets that have came out for the 270 are suppose to work with the standard twist. Pick most any gun/caliber you like find a bullet it shoot well, practice with it and you will do fine.

I will be the outlier here. Any bullet will kill animals. The reasons against the 270 are numerous. There are better options for bullets in 6.5 and 7mm. Even if you wanted to stay with the 270 or 06 case you would be better served with the higher bc bullets of the 6.5 or 7. This is a long range hunting forum. I do not really see a place for the 270 when compared to other options. Sure if you already have one then shoot it. As already stated it will kill game. I will almost always shoot the smallest caliber for the weight bullet I want to shoot. If I want to shoot 140s I will pick a 6.5 if I want larger I will step up to the 7.