7-300 win mag Why not?

coupalr

I was wondering if it has been done. The reason I would like to do it is so that I do not have to buy new Redding competition dies for a 7mm round. I already have the 300 win mag competition dies and thought I could just buy the correct neck sizing bushings to neck it down to 7mm. I guess if nobody else has done it I will be paying about the same amount as the dies for the reamer.

If thats the only reason for having one built, just go with the 7mm STW and do the same thing you want to with the 7mm-300 Win Mag.

Only that its a commerical offering so brass is cheap, reamers are cheaper then customers and FL dies are very reasonable, plus you get more bang for your buck in that round as well!!

Kirby Allen(50)

In my judgement, you have a weak motive. Sell your dies on ebay or similiar, and chamber a barrel for one of several 7MM cases. if that's what you must have.

Years ago, I thought I desperately needed a 7MMRemMag. But, I got a deal on a 300 Winchester. After comparing all the data, I wondered what I thought was so great about the 7? Now, like everybody else, I can (and do) select numbers that favor the 300.

I firmly believe that there is not, one best solution. There are a number of solutions. Unless you are the type that needs something different, at any cost, I'd stick with what you have. It's a good one.

Good hunting. LB

My buddy has a variant of that smithed by Dan Dowling. You might look up Either 7mm Mashburn or & 7mm Super Mashburn. Its not what I would consider a super LR cartridge but it's very accurate. Its similar to a standard 7mm Rem Mag. As I recall he has to form cases and has a special Die set to do that. His is more work than a standard Ackley

Good Luck
Mark

I had a 7-300 built on a Mauser Mark X action with a 26" pac-nor bbl.I was in my balls out velocity phase,and just wanted speed,and decent (1") accuracy.I used to push 160gr bullets out at about 3340fps.Of course I only got about 2 loadings until my primers would fall out.I took game out to 600yds with this combo,using 76gr of IMR 7828 and alternating between Nosler Partitions and Barnes X's.(both 160gr).

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.