Why Not .270 WIn for LR?

Now that bullet mfg's have started to provide higher BC bullets for the .270, why wouldn't this stack up with longer barrel slower powder and so on? It seems like the .270 is swept under rug but I am rethinking a build with a longer barrel (26" min) to get most out of the new higher BC bullets like the Hornady 145 ELDX, Sierra 140 Gamechanger, 150 Nosler LRAB. Why not? It will still have digestible recoil even with the heavier bullets.

Heck, with blasphemy (the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence to a diety, or sacred things, or toward something considered sacred) ringing in my ears, maybe even stay with the 6.5's? I am curious if anyone has built a .270 with this in mind? The easy availability of brass, wealth of bullets and wide range of powder selection, it has my interest. I know what the .270WSM can do BUT the complete ease of obtaining brass etc seems to be intriguing.
I've built 3) 270 Win that shoot the Berger 170gr EOL right at 2950fps. All three shoot 1/4 moa or less with new cheap Winchester brass, 215m primer, 60.5-61 grains of H1000. Blueprinted Rem 700's with Proof Research 1-8 twist Sendero Light barrels. Tack drivers, no recoil. 2 of these guns have shot 3 shot groups at 1000yds under 2". Kill anything you want with this build...

There is no reason why it can not be used. It goes to audience. This crowd tends to be into super wammy magnums and to AI cartridges.

The .270 Win. has been getting it done for a long time and will never die, just like the 30-06 and several more. It's an amazing round.
I for one am into A.I.'s and other variants like the Sherman line, the added edges they offer are worth it to me.

I have a shoulder injury which doesn't care for heavy recoil, I had a 7 mm-08 A.I. built because I had a short action to build of off or I would have chose the .270 Win. My wife currently shoots a 25-06 for deer and antelope and a 7RM for elk. Don't you dare tell her a .270 Win. would fill the bill for both.

But I gotta admit it, if had gotten a .270 or ever do, it will get reamed or rebarreled into a .270 Sherman.:cool:

Last edited:
With 130's it's a great light recoiling round that kills well. With a fast twist barrel you have options that allow it to be a good choice for medium game at distance. Caribou deer black bear elk inside of 600yds Moose well it works I'd like a 300 mag though better. Once they get into the water it can be a nightmare
The faster 270 cal options are just more of a good thing. A .65, .66 bullet of 165+ grains at 2900fps and up is going to deliver the mail at extended ranges just fine. Push it to 3000-3500fps and what is going to walk away from that with lethal shot placement inside of the bullet's operating envelope of 16-1800fps?

many ways to skin the cat, ive never had an ai'' cartridge in any caliber, ive always run a longer barrel if I want mor speed, heck even high power shooters have been doing just that for years!. Back in the day P O Ackley , wildcatted almost every caliber, the Man was 100 yrs ahead of his time & Brilliant . he found very little gain in wildcatting the then 270 WCF cartridge, yeah its was that great and it took on all commers, read the books if you can get them, the 7 mag wasn't even thought up till the early 1960's, the 270 BEE, was thought up because Roy was ahead of his time also, but don't think Brilliant minds weren't backing him also, powders were not as high tech as they are now, ADD bullets , range finders , the list is endless, got a great forum Friend that shoots Elk wit his 25/06, that's skill n Finesse, but Bac to the 270's, their GREAT just like Tony Tiger would say! my 270 wsm with its 24 inch bbl matchs any 7mag ive ever had or reloaded in 40' plus yrs. now slap a 1/8 twist ROCK Creek bbl or a Brux same twist and add 2 inchs in barrel and watch out Mr 270 BEE!. Yeah we're Very LUCKY TO Live in AMERICA!!!! & i'm here to TOAST each and every 270 caliber!!! thks.

The .270 Win. has been getting it done for a long time and will never die, just like the 30-06 and several more. It's an amazing round.
I for one am into A.I.'s and other variants like the Sherman line, the added edges they offer are worth it to me.

I have a shoulder injury which doesn't care for heavy recoil, I had a 7 mm-08 A.I. built because I had a short action to build of off or I would have chose the .270 Win. My wife currently shoots a 25-06 for deer and antelope and a 7RM for elk. Don't you dare tell her a .270 Win. would fill the bill for both.

But I gotta admit it, if had gotten a .270 or ever do, it will get reamed or rebarreled into a .270 Sherman.:cool:
Why not re chamber a 270win to 270weatherby. plenty of accuracy and horse power for steel and elk with factory ammo.

Why not re chamber a 270win to 270weatherby. plenty of accuracy and horse power for steel and elk with factory ammo.
Well, it's all about C.O.A.L., using a standard bolt face an shooting more modern High B.C. Bullets which tend to be longer and I predominately reload unless fireforming a factory load for a wildcat. That phase of reloading is only a year old to me but is very addictive. And it's only gonna get worse.
Why change or machine the bolt face of a stock .270 to make it a Weatherby when you can just ream existing barrel or install new one in a .270 A.I. Or better yet a .270 Sherman which will be so close to a factory .270 Weatherby. If I did change the bolt face to magnum I would get it in .270 SS or at least a .270 WSM, I've owned one and they are a great round. I don't care to shoot standard factory stuff myself, I enjoy reloading and learning all this new wildcat stuff is we're its at for me.

And now back to the original.270 WCF and you Muddyboots!;)

The excessive freebore and price of the components would be another reason. Great cartridge for mpr no doubt. However to build a tight twist rig you would want to have a reamer cut for a specific bullet. Now you will run into issues with factory ammo blowing primers in summer if that throat is too tight. At minimum $30 on ammo seek for federal and the cheapest weatherby ammo and most of the stuff you'd want to use being over 50 a box it would be tough to just throw that brass away to find out. I had a 300wby with a shillen cut for the 190smk for camp perry that would not shoot box ammo safely. I never made to Ohio with that rifle but I did shoot a bunch of local events with excellent results at distance. This was 89-91 time frame. The smith who built that rifle is still with us at 92 or 93years old and he still shows up at his shop every workday. His son in his late 60's runs things now

The 270 win has the case capacity and a long neck for proper bullet alignment. The 270 is my favorite cartridge. It has never been promoted as a target cartridge. If it had the proper twist 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 and ackley improved it would be up there with the 270 wsm, while burning less powder. It has been americas favorite since 1925.
It would overcome the 6.5/06ai, with the heavier bullets becoming available. The 270 win is great in factory form though. I have used it with reloader 26 and 150 grain nbt, that will fly flat at long range.
Long live the 270
Just curious what your load/speeds are with RL26 and 150gr BTs. I got great groups in my JC Higgins M50 with 59gr and COAL 3.36'', but they weren't moving quite as quickly as I would've expected.

I've killed more deer with the 270 than any other cartridge and I've killed at least fifty deer.
I agree. The .270 Winchester is the first gun I bought when I was 16. I've hunted deer and elk for the past 40 yrs and dropped every big game animal in its track. The .270 has been under rated. My 270 is 40 yrs old but you'd never know it as it still looks new except a scratch on the stock. You take care of it and clean after that yrs hunting season it will remain accurate and in good condition.
Kill more deer with your .270.

The 270 is my fav caliber so I had my gunsmith build me one with the following instructions, Notice you will not see LR anywhere in this short set of instructions- Lightweight, mountain rifle that shoots great! That was it, and he did just that. I went with a 24" Benchmark #2 contour barrel and it shoots the 145 eld-x like they are built for my gun specifically! Unfortunately, due to some bad luck/karma, I have not taken an animal with this gun since having it built last year, but I can tell you that, once I topped it with a VX6-2x12 with CDS dial made for it, it has turned into, what I call, a great mid LR rifle. What I mean by mid LR is that out to 650yds so far, it has no issues banging 8" steel gongs. Long live the 270!
Update- bad luck/Karma be damned,, I took a cow elk at 390yds last season in Idaho with that little jewel. She did a little spin move, took about 3 steps backwards and collapsed. I'll just keep using it I guess. I have owned many 270's over my whole entire put together and have never been disappointed in any of them, but this one will be with me until my passing.

My 20 year old Remington 270, 22 inch barrel is good out to 600 yards. But, after that I go to the 300 WM. I use 130 to 150 grain bullets and don't push them too hard. The conventional 270 just is not designed to do much more than that.