Why No Love For 270 Ackley Improved?

Yep. My 270wby is sending 150gr ABLR at 3360 fps from 27" bbl. Not top end pressure but the accuracy load.
I was blown away by the speed of factory 150gr Spire Points, over 3400fps in my 28" tube.
I'm not all about speed, but that is impressive.
My 264WM isn't that fast with 140gr pills, tops out at a tad over 3350fps in my 30" tube.

Bullet selection in 270 doesn't really bother me, I rarely use it beyond 800mtrs anyway.
I bought my father a 270 Win for his 70th birthday. He loves the thing.

Cheers.

I would consider the 270 AI or 270 Sherman now simply because of the new 170 gr. Berger EOL, but it takes a 1/8" twist in a custom barrel to make it work. The 257 and 270 bullets haven't received much development in a high B.C. configuration until recently. I doubt it will crimp the sales of 7mm bullets, barrels etc. just by the market presence of everything 7mm.

Yep, exactly. Try and get a fast twist .277 or .257 barrel. And then the bullet selection is limited too. I recognize that there are some coming and few here. But NOTHING compared to .284.

I like Savage pre-fits. Have 200 rounds of nice Nosler 270 brass, and would have put together a 270 perhaps, given I have dies etc too. But try getting a pre-fit. In a cut rifled barrel that is. Pac nor and McGowan are button IIRC.

What we really need is someone to solidly SAAMI a 6.5-06 AI, and make premium brass. Bullet selection: check Slow twist barrels from everyone: Check. Proven Record: check. FAAAST: check. Barrel Burner: Probably:(

The most popular in an 06 parent case is the 280 AI, next would be 6.5-06 AI. I used to have the 6mm AI.

I used to shoot a 270win until I "had" to have a magnum. It was fantastic for putting meat on the ground.

Went my dad built he told me ballisticly it was very close to being a magnum...without burning all the extra powder. So it seems it would be a natural to Ackley-ize!

Bullet selection is a tiny bit weak, but when (1999) I built my 6mm AI a 100gr bullet was the max you could get.

I have one more Savage receiver to build out but I'm still thinking 6.5, so the 6.5-06 is a very attractive choice to me right now. I might even AI that.

Any way...Why no love...270win Ackley Improved?

I originally considered the .280 AI but went with the .270 AI instead and couldn't be any happier. I am fine with the no love status, in fact I prefer it that way ... just like the .264 WM I am building.

My .270 AI propels the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load).

Last edited:
I just checked their website, but didn't find any indication they were no longer shipping to the US.
Do you have inside info we should be aware of?

Matrix bullet sales suspenson.JPG

That's a huge bummer about Matrix. I was looking forward to trying them when I found people were stabilizing them in a 10 twist. I hope this isn't more of Trump's trade war at work.

You said it. I just sent off a brux 8 twist and an A-bolt 2 (long action) donor rifle for a 270 WSM build. My intention was to find something it liked in the 165 or 175 matrix or the 170 EOL. Looks like my mind was made up for me on April 3rd. Sure wish I had a couple boxes to try.

Last edited:
I originally considered the .280 AI but went with the .270 AI instead and couldn't be any happier. I am fine with the no love status, in fact I prefer it that way ... just like the .264 WM I am building.

My .270 AI propels the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load).
Even with the Matrix bullets gone if you could get the Berger 170gr EOL to work at your current velocity or better it'll still be pretty awesome.