Why no 270-08 ?

Will this do ...

Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg

That's handy, and about the right size, I stop short of typing with my thumbs, but reading my post the t & y keys are too close together.

Riley, I like the heck out of you, & you are always helpfull, & are an incredibly knowledgeable gun guy,

I agree! For a 14 year old, you show more maturity than a couple of members that probably at least 3-4 times your age that I had previous thread discussions with.

Keep it up! Your parents raised you well. Cheers!

Ed

PS
Riley, I like the heck out of you, & you are always helpfull, & are an incredibly knowledgeable gun guy, but judging by the YouTube thingy's in your "signature" you have Terrible taste in music hahahaha. Just sayin' :)

I agree! For a 14 year old, you show more maturity than a couple of members that probably at least 3-4 times your age that I had previous thread discussions with.

Keep it up! Your parents raised you well. Cheers!

Ed
T J, thank you, i dont know how i missed that post, i like you too, that model 70 post was FUNNY, and about my taste in music,,, i knew someone was going to say that. LOL

Ed, thank you too, i will warn you guys though, i am a certfied smarta**, my Mom calls me one just about daily... (In fun of course) And FEENIX you always bring in some humor in a thread with your animations, thanks for that.

I have learned a ton on this forum in the year and a half i have been on here. Looking back at my old posts i feel so stupid Lol.

T J, thank you, i dont know how i missed that post, i like you too, that model 70 post was FUNNY, and about my taste in music,,, i knew someone was going to say that. LOL

Ed, thank you too, i will warn you guys though, i am a certfied smarta**, my Mom calls me one just about daily... (In fun of course) And FEENIX you always bring in some humor in a thread with your animations, thanks for that.

I have learned a ton on this forum in the year and a half i have been on here. Looking back at my old posts i feel so stupid Lol.

L:DL! Well, "Mom" knows best and you better listen to her.

Sometimes it's not all about the start, it's the finish that matters the most. lightbulb

Cheers!

Ed

what exactly would
the advantage be over a 260?

Pretty much what Marshal said, with the addition of:
Its a 270 so its already cooler :cool: haha:D
There is no real gain. Other than the cool factor. Everybody has a 6.5 something or other. That isn't what I'm looking for.
Call it an OCD thing, or a prejudice against the metric system or whatever you wanna call it.
Back story time**
We didn't have a lot of $ when I was a kid. Family tradition dictates Dad buying, or handing down his son his first rifle. Its gotta fit the bill for Deer, Elk, Bear, Antelope, & everything in between if your a 1 rifle kid "out west". My cousins & I all started with a 30-06 or 270. Other than the oddball inlaw shooting a 264 Mag I'd never heard of anybody using anything with a smaller bore diameter than a 270 for anything but varmints, & paper, until much later in life. Our 270's, -06's, & 300's & 338's worked just fine on everything we pulled the trigger on.
So, I've always had a fondness for anything 270, 30, & 338 since I was a kid.
Now, out of these 3, the 270 fits the bill "best" for the intended purpose of the build on an -08 case, for Wife, & Daughters all round rifle with minimal recoil.

I know, it doesn't make sense to everybody. & it's not cost effective now-a-days, But IMO it should've caught on well before many of the other -08 wildcats did.

Back story time**
We didn't have a lot of $ when I was a kid. Family tradition dictates Dad buying, or handing down his son his first rifle. Its gotta fit the bill for Deer, Elk, Bear, Antelope, & everything in between if your a 1 rifle kid "out west". My cousins & I all started with a 30-06 or 270. Other than the oddball inlaw shooting a 264 Mag I'd never heard of anybody using anything with a smaller bore diameter than a 270 for anything but varmints, & paper, until much later in life. Our 270's, -06's, & 300's & 338's worked just fine on everything we pulled the trigger on.
So, I've always had a fondness for anything 270, 30, & 338 since I was a kid.
Now, out of these 3, the 270 fits the bill "best" for the intended purpose of the build on an -08 case, for Wife, & Daughters all round rifle with minimal recoil.

What a great history. Many have not been so lucky as to be surrounded by heirlooms passed down and to have a father that taught you to hunt. Then to be able to do the same for your daughter.

You live an enviable life.

Hey winmag,
It just so happens we share the same story...ish!:rolleyes: My dad passed down his .270 to me also, and it is a Mod 670 Win. It currently has a .308 barrel on it. The .270 barrel is shot.

Tank

What a great history. Many have not been so lucky as to be surrounded by heirlooms passed down and to have a father that taught you to hunt. Then to be able to do the same for your daughter.

You live an enviable life.

Thank you. I like it quite a bit, & am greatfull for what I have been blessed with.
I think I've pretty well got the boys covered, so now it's time for Mamma, & my lil princess. Thus, the 270-08 build/brainstorm.

Hey winmag,
It just so happens we share the same story...ish! My dad passed down his .270 to me also, and it is a Mod 670 Win. It currently has a .308 barrel on it. The .270 barrel is shot.

Tank

Good memories huh!?!
My dads first rifle was his Pre-64' Win Model-70, 270.
Mine was a Model-70, 30-06 (which is now my 300WSM).
Both my boys will inherit my 270WSM, & Dads 270WSM.

Pretty sure there's a few more to pass down for grand kids etc:)
We start em early around hereimage.jpg even if its just turning them loose with a bb gun to go shoot sage rats haha

I stated in my first post that I am fully aware of the ballistic advantages of the 6.5's & 7mm's with heavy for caliber bullets. But again, this is not a build for LR, & I just have no interest in them. Not a metric fan I guess :D
Call it a 264, or a 284 & it sounds better, but call it a 270, & it sounds just about right:D
One develops a certain fondness for certain calibers, & a grudge against others, based on personal experiences, & memories. Thus, my love of all things 270.
It's not all about the numbers all the time. But with the intended purpose, & bullet weights to suit the intended purpose, I like 270.

Hey . are you still catching flack about building a 270 ?

In addition to my love for shooting and building guns, I really like some trivia and I think you will enjoy
this little tidbit.

First to all of the 7mm fans (I am one of them to) when you do the conversion from MM to .000 the 270
is closer to a true 7mm (7mm = .27559) than a .284. (7.22mm = .2842).

So It looks like your 270/08 is in truth a 7mm.

In 1925 when Winchester decided to come out with the 270 WIN they did not like the Idea of calling
it a 7mm/06 because the Chinese already had a 7mm cartridge so they named it the 270 Winchester.

The 6.8 mm is very close to the .264 (.2677) so it looks like the folks that name there cartridges have
played wild and loose with there metric designations. So the 6.8 (.277) is actually also a 7mm.

It goes on and on. I thought everyone would get a kick out of this And hopefully they wont throw away
all of there 7.22 mm rifles, to build a 270.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts