Why No Love For 270 Ackley Improved?

CaptnC

The most popular in an 06 parent case is the 280 AI, next would be 6.5-06 AI. I used to have the 6mm AI.

I used to shoot a 270win until I "had" to have a magnum. It was fantastic for putting meat on the ground.

Went my dad built he told me ballisticly it was very close to being a magnum...without burning all the extra powder. So it seems it would be a natural to Ackley-ize!

Bullet selection is a tiny bit weak, but when (1999) I built my 6mm AI a 100gr bullet was the max you could get.

I have one more Savage receiver to build out but I'm still thinking 6.5, so the 6.5-06 is a very attractive choice to me right now. I might even AI that.

Any way...Why no love...270win Ackley Improved?

The most popular in an 06 parent case is the 280 AI, next would be 6.5-06 AI. I used to have the 6mm AI.

I used to shoot a 270win until I "had" to have a magnum. It was fantastic for putting meat on the ground.

Went my dad built he told me ballisticly it was very close to being a magnum...without burning all the extra powder. So it seems it would be a natural to Ackley-ize!

Bullet selection is a tiny bit weak, but when (1999) I built my 6mm AI a 100gr bullet was the max you could get.

I have one more Savage receiver to build out but I'm still thinking 6.5, so the 6.5-06 is a very attractive choice to me right now. I might even AI that.

Any way...Why no love...270win Ackley Improved?
I had one. I ordered a 9 twist from Douglass to shoot longer bullets...they sent a 10 twist:mad:.
Frustrated with them I just kept it. It shot good with 140vld at 3150fps.

I know a couple of members here FEENIX and Big Jake Duke have/had them also.

Why no love for the 270AI? Because of the 270WSM with its superior velocity, and available factory ammo, brass, and dies.

With the 270WSM in existence, I think the better question is, why would there be any love for the 270AI?

JMHO

Last edited:
The reason the 280 Ackley looks so good compared to the 280 Remington is because the 280 Remington was ran at a lower pressure. Run the 280 Remington at same pressure as 280 Ackley and there isn't much of a difference. The 270 Winchester is already ran at a higher pressure so ackleying it just doesn't gain a whole lot.

There aren't as many high BC bullets available for the 277 cal compared to the 7mm or 6.5 mm. It's still an excellent round and one to consider.

In my opinion, this is the main issue with the .277 dia bullets.

The 270 was/is the original magnum. It was developed in 1923 and hit the market in 1925. It is the same length as the 280 Remington and is actually closer to 7mm than the 280 . (7 mm = .2756) Winchester did not want to use the metric system because there were already several "7 millimeter cartridges in Europe, so they call it a 270.

As far as the Ackley goes, It is a modification that normally improves any cartridges performance with minimum effort and components.
The 270 AI is a definite improvement in performance and case life.

Bullets have always been an issue with the 270 and has not got that much better. and with all the "New" designer cartridges, the 270 will have to rely on a core following that knows the 270 for what it can do, and remain loyal.

J E CUSTOM

Bullets have always been an issue with the 270 and has not got that much better. and with all the "New" designer cartridges, the 270 will have to rely on a core following that knows the 270 for what it can do, and remain loyal.
I originally was going to build, and still may, my long range rifle with the 270 Win or AI, but it only had the Matrix bullets with high BC's. Now we have the EOL 170 gr also but the selection is still limited. That's why I considered the 280 AI. The dies aren't that expensive and easy to get, and barrels with various twists are available. It's getting better with the 277 cal, but it's still behind the 7mm or even the 6.5mm. It's really a shame, such a classic American caliber.

Consider this . My 270 Win rifle with 24" factory Bbl. I load the Barnes 129gr LRX. A load right out of the Barnes manual 59.5grs of Rel 19 . Clocks 3259 over my chrono. Barnes shows 3211 FPS. Shoots over my 550yd range flat & gets there right now. This is not a over the top unknown shade tree load. A well tested safe load. Primers on fired cases have rounded corners & after 6 shots still have snug primer pockets. No need to used extra primers & powder & time to blow out cases. Even if you were to gain 100fps which is unlikely your trajectory would gain only a fraction of inch at 300yds.

I think if one is going to re-chamber an existing barrel, a little more velocity for the same bullets doesn't have a lot of appeal to most.

Re-barreling to take advantage of newer bullets opens the discussion to other cartridges, and the .270 AI generally doesn't make the cut.

Recent Posts