My 270/308 27-08.

I know it's a relative question but how many rounds do you figure this barrel will last? And how many have you shot already?

My question is with an 8.5 twist why aren't you using 160 gr bullets which would give you way better BC. I have a 270 WSM with a 7.5 and shoots 175gr Sierra TGK less than 1/2 moa. Took down a large cow elk at 410yds with no problems

I didn't build the gun for anything over 140. I have a 270win and I'm building a
27.7Rum for 170 Bergers .
I'm glad you like your 270Wsm.👍

My question is with an 8.5 twist why aren't you using 160 gr bullets which would give you way better BC. I have a 270 WSM with a 7.5 and shoots 175gr Sierra TGK less than 1/2 moa. Took down a large cow elk at 410yds with no problems
Custom made barrel, why not get a faster twist. Might need it some day.

Congratulation on your new build, good luck with it. I have read all four pages of replies on this thread. As always a treasure trove of information and insights. Anything that reads .277 on this forum is of interest to me. Now... if one were to be looking to hurl some heavy .277 caliber bullets one might want to take a close look at the .270 Ackley Improved. In the days, P.O. Ackley himself downplayed improving the .270 Winchester due to the cartridge already being overbore. But with today's powders that concept is not longer true. A number of years ago I built two, .270 Ackley Improved rifles; one for my son and one for myself. We have had nothing but positive results. The rifles were built on Ruger 77 actions, factory contoured Lilja 26 inch, 1:10 twist barrel, bedded and pillar bedded. I built these rifles with an intended use of whitetail deer hunting, so 130s and 150 garin bullets were in mind when I built them. We can get 3300 fps with 150gr ABLRs, but the brass is not too happy with those pressures. Our best load is around 3100 for sure. The round is accurate and easy to find a load for. If one wanted a rifle that could hurl the heavies I would recommend 1:7-1:8 barrel twist. FEENIX on this forum is a true fan of the .270 Ackley as well as myself. When I was looking for a cartridge to build he provided me with a lot of information and insight on this cartridge. I know that he has rifles built to hurl the heavies if anyone is interested. The round runs about the same as a .270 WSM, only on steroids. Dies are readily available from most dies makers, components are any 30-06 brass, and and some "cream of wheat ". Do a true comparison of these ballistics with the current designer "hot rods" that are on the market today. This round will give most of the designer cartridges of today a true run for their money. And... brass is always available (and always will be), does not cost $3-4 apiece, and... the round does not take a pound of powder per round. Just another suggestion/thought for the .277 enthusiasts. I have attached an old photo of a 300 yard target that I photographed when we first started playing with these rifles. I call the rifles our "Two Shot" rifles because after the first two rounds the third round will usually go for a walk due to the light, factory contoured barrels. I am also curious about what the ballistics would be for a .277-.308 Winchester Ackley Improved??

Attachments

• .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    .270 Ackley Improved 300yds.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: