What rifle to get.

Dakota79

I'm looking at getting a new rifle and here is the situation.

I am in a wheelchair and paralyzed from the neck down and on a ventilator. I have a shooting rig that connects to my wheelchair that I can steer with a joystick using my chin and when I am ready to shoot I suck on a straw that is connected to a solenoid and that pulls the trigger.

A metal plate goes under my cousin and then a pipe comes up between my legs and on top of that I connect the shooting rig. It would be comparable to a lead sled. On top of that sits my rifle.

Hopefully that gives you some kind of mental image of the whole set up.

Once everything is attached there is a lot of play and it is quite wobbly. Sure when I fire everything is nice and steady but the recoil of the rifle sure shakes the **** out the shooting rig and even my wheelchair.

Right now I am shooting a .270 win and I'm looking at getting a 6.5 PRC in hopes of reducing the recoil but still having a 500 yard hunting rifle for prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, deer and elk.

My mind is made up on the 6.5 PRC but I'm looking for recommendations on what one to get. I shoot quite a bit and like I said with my .270 win I am comfortable and accurate at 500 yards and have no intent of shooting at animals further than that. I want something out of the box that I don't have to tinker with to get the same results. With saying that I have no problem trying different bullets to see what the gun likes but I don't want to be making a bunch of hardware adjustments on the rifle itself.

I want something that is tough and durable and does not need to be babied while I'm pounding around the pasture on the ranch and hunting.

What make, model or brand should I be looking at?

I'm looking at getting a new rifle and here is the situation.

I am in a wheelchair and paralyzed from the neck down and on a ventilator. I have a shooting rig that connects to my wheelchair that I can steer with a joystick using my chin and when I am ready to shoot I suck on a straw that is connected to a solenoid and that pulls the trigger.

A metal plate goes under my cousin and then a pipe comes up between my legs and on top of that I connect the shooting rig. It would be comparable to a lead sled. On top of that sits my rifle.

Hopefully that gives you some kind of mental image of the whole set up.

Once everything is attached there is a lot of play and it is quite wobbly. Sure when I fire everything is nice and steady but the recoil of the rifle sure shakes the *Rule 4 Violation* out the shooting rig and even my wheelchair.

Right now I am shooting a .270 win and I'm looking at getting a 6.5 PRC in hopes of reducing the recoil but still having a 500 yard hunting rifle for prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, deer and elk.

My mind is made up on the 6.5 PRC but I'm looking for recommendations on what one to get. I shoot quite a bit and like I said with my .270 win I am comfortable and accurate at 500 yards and have no intent of shooting at animals further than that. I want something out of the box that I don't have to tinker with to get the same results. With saying that I have no problem trying different bullets to see what the gun likes but I don't want to be making a bunch of hardware adjustments on the rifle itself.

I want something that is tough and durable and does not need to be babied while I'm pounding around the pasture on the ranch and hunting.

What make, model or brand should I be looking at?
First of all, congrats on your drive and desire to do what you love. My hats off!
I would give Seekins a call in Lewiston, Id. They make a great rifle with custom quality without the full custom price.
Its called "Seekins Havak".
Good luck and God bless!

Elkaholic has a great recommendation.
Out of the Box you cannot Beat a X Bolt IMHO
I can only add that I have 2 X bolt Brownings in 6.5 PRC purchased this Oct.
1 is the Hell's Canyon Speed sub 1/2 moa with 143 eld x
2nd a X Bolt Pro Long Range same 143 eld x and is maybe slightly better groups than the HCS. Both Have SWFA 3x15 42 scopes. Neither has more than 50 rounds down them. They come with Muzzle Brakes which definitely reduces the recoil, and if you do not like they have just a thread protector also. 60 degree bolt too.
Wishing You The Very Best and Thank You for being an Inspiration to All.

Hats off to you sir! Give it hell!! A 6.5PRC will certainly fulfill the criteria you've outlined. Recoil between those two cartridges will depend on rifle weight and if you utilize a muzzle device. Elkaholic points out a well made rifle that would serve you very nicely. As another choice, I would add, a Best of the West Mountain Hunter Series System with a 3-12 Huskemaw optic.
I have been eyeballing that very rig in 6.5 PRC myself. I have a couple of their 5-20 blue diamond optics that just plain work great. I cringe every time I buy another, but they serve me very well. Another rock solid optic that I have quite a bit of experience with is an SWFA fixed 10, MIL/MIL. I also run their fixed 20 and have nothing but good things to say about both, especially at their price point. Keep us all posted and feel free to PM me let me if you'd like to bounce some choices around!

Love your story! Tip of the cap to you! I would say that there is a lot of good options out there and I honestly don't have enough experience to recommend a specific rifle. I can however say that the heavier the rifle the more it will want to stay still. So, iI would recommend getting as heavy of a rifle as you can, or can have if it's regulated by your state. Good luck! Let us know what you decide on!

Elkaholic has a great recommendation.
Out of the Box you cannot Beat a X Bolt IMHO
I can only add that I have 2 X bolt Brownings in 6.5 PRC purchased this Oct.
1 is the Hell's Canyon Speed sub 1/2 moa with 143 eld x
2nd a X Bolt Pro Long Range same 143 eld x and is maybe slightly better groups than the HCS. Both Have SWFA 3x15 42 scopes. Neither has more than 50 rounds down them. They come with Muzzle Brakes which definitely reduces the recoil, and if you do not like they have just a thread protector also. 60 degree bolt too.
Wishing You The Very Best and Thank You for being an Inspiration to All.

Please send me some more information on those two setups.

Hats off to you sir! Give it hell!! A 6.5PRC will certainly fulfill the criteria you've outlined. Recoil between those two cartridges will depend on rifle weight and if you utilize a muzzle device. Elkaholic points out a well made rifle that would serve you very nicely. As another choice, I would add, a Best of the West Mountain Hunter Series System with a 3-12 Huskemaw optic.
I have been eyeballing that very rig in 6.5 PRC myself. I have a couple of their 5-20 blue diamond optics that just plain work great. I cringe every time I buy another, but they serve me very well. Another rock solid optic that I have quite a bit of experience with is an SWFA fixed 10, MIL/MIL. I also run their fixed 20 and have nothing but good things to say about both, especially at their price point. Keep us all posted and feel free to PM me let me if you'd like to bounce some choices around!

Would you as well please send me some more information?

Everything you listed except for elk is really do-able with a 6.5 creedmoor. I wonder if the slightly less recoil combined with a really efficient brake would help stabilize the rifle. There is a video of an engineer from JP enterprises firing a braked 30-06 with the buttpad on his nose. The JP brake is fuggly but **** if it isnt effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.