How to build rifle, what is good, where to get it?

superlite17

Hello ALL and thanks in advance. It looks as though many of you build your own rigs, I never thought of that. It makes sense, you get the best of both worlds... what you want!

So you can buy say a Savage barrel, Remy action, and mcmillan stock in same calibre and it will all go together?

I did cursory research and there are a few makers of just barrels, triggers, action, etc... are they better? And where can you buy them?

I have $700 to work with, could I build a decent rig for that?

If you had $700 and were building a rig would you please list the components each of you would use? Then with little knowledge I could search, compare, and come up with an opinion.

It will be 22-250

Thank You all, you really are a vast diverse pool of shooting knowledge! Rod

<font color="red">So you can buy say a Savage barrel, Remy action, and mcmillan stock in same calibre and it will all go together? </font>
The short answer is no,a smith could make it work but its gona cost you more for the machining than the barrels worth.Now if you had a Savage and wanted to change barrels it would be an easy do it yourself exchange....If the shank matches the action?
<font color="red">I did cursory research and there are a few makers of just barrels, triggers, action, etc... are they better?
</font> They can be and usualy are but not always cost effective?
<font color="red"> I have $700 to work with, could I build a decent rig for that? </font>
A McMillian stock can run you that much and an action is more than that.By the time you have a good barrel fitted you'll have dang near $700 in it too.
It can be done though...Buy a Savage with the stock you like and shoot it!You can always add a better barrel later and install it yourself??

As has been stated, your best bet would likely be a new factory savage to stay within your budget. If you are dead set on building your own, you might look at finding a used savage or stevens(under $150 for stevens if you look hard enough). Then put a shaw barrel on it and bed it into a b&amp;c stock. A new trigger and you should be ready to go under $700. Just a thought.

Jerry

You say, Savage or Howa, those are two of my factory considerations... with you guy's knowledge of both companies, if you dont mind and have time, would you mind telling me which would you say builds the highest quality and why?

Thanks again - Rod

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.