What .284 rifle to build

A 7 WSM with, a Longer, "Necked" case, made by Lapua, Peterson or Norma, in a Long, Modified magazine, Tikka or, Sako, Action, would be Perfect,. IMO ! A Light weight, Mountain Hunting, Rifle with around, 1,000 Yards of,.. Killing, Power ( Just, in case,.. LOL ! ).
I don't need, a "Cannon", just a light weight,.. Mini- Cannon !

Last edited:
Not considering brass……my 28 nosler s slings 195's at 3,120 fps average into little bitty groups a long long way off.
Since I don't Hunt with, a Brake, my Shoulder aches just thinking about,.. the .28 Nosler !
165 to 175's are probably, ALL that, I can shoot / tolerate, without,.. crying ! ,.. UN-Braked

Since I don't Hunt with, a Brake, my Shoulder aches just thinking about,.. the .28 Nosler !
165 to 175's are probably, ALL that, I can shoot / tolerate, without,.. crying ! ,.. UN-Braked
A 7STW, 7RUM or 28 Nosler during load development, without a brake ain't fun, but not that big a deal, in the field on game. That being said, most of my rifles have brakes, 100% of the time.

7mm-408 cheytac 🤣. Better blow out the case for full performance. With a 50 inch gain twist barrel, some hex boron nitride treatment of the bullets and bore, Peterson brass to "not load hotter than anything else", and a proprietary blend of us869 and fine coal dust it should really sing. If you load it with hammer bullets and call it a Sherman something or other it will automatically be another 400 fps faster as well!

In all seriousness something like the mashburn or what some call the 7mm practical or 7mm-300 win mag sounds good to me, a sweet spot of capacity to bore ratio. Of course I'm sitting on a pile of .300 win brass so that's half the decision if it were like.

Note: no offence intending to hammer bullets or @elkaholic…just having some fun.

What data, do you require, that you don't make from your own, handloading?
Hey Jason I now have all the data I need , I was stating that I was having issues when I first started out as I just got this 7 short mag about these weeks ago so finding starting places was inmpossible in the manuals I have but a little digging on the internet and bam I found the starting places I needed to work up my loads . Now if I need info I can reference my records !

A 7STW, 7RUM or 28 Nosler during load development, without a brake ain't fun, but not that big a deal, in the field on game. That being said, most of my rifles have brakes, 100% of the time.
Agree after, "working up" loads and "Proofing Loads" on, the Scopes "Dial"at, Various Ranges, the Fun of Practicing Field positions and Shooting Game,.. then, Recoil is NO Big, deal ! I never heard or felt, my .270 WSM, go off when,.. blasting an, Elk !
I have Brakes on my Varmint and L - R Steel, Target, Rifles.

Last edited:
I have a Barlien barrel in a .284, I would like a long range rifle out to 1000 yds, any one have any thoughts?

I have looked at the 28 Sherman and the Mashburn, would like a caliber that the brass is not hard to come buy or form
I dont know your limitations or requirements for ballistic performance at your max range 1000yds so I wont suggest a cartridge for you. Mine are a factory rifle (no a $1500-3000 rifle I can buy very similar one for half that) is not what I call a factory rifle. My minimum on target bullet velocity is 17-1800fps in a heavier for caliber "real hunting" bullet. My last two 284 long range cartridges (7STW, 28N) are the same basic cartridge and I would have stayed with the STW if I could have gotten one in a sporter weight. My loads push a STW 175ABLR @ 3250 from a 26", and the 28N a 160AB at 3350 from a 24". I am about 90 percent sure I need to back the 28N down to 3300 to extend brass life.