What rifle to build

Yea, 6.5 Creed or maybe 6.5 PRC look like good choices.

Custom action, premium barrel, BDL bottom metal, maybe B&C stock/or McMillan/or Grayboe stock
As bad as I hate too say it the 6.5 Creed down here in Texas has a lot of 6.5 Creed ammo on the shelves of about any store you walk into ,and no prc ammo hope that changes . I love my 6.5 prcs but if you don't hand-load the 6.5 Creed it is that choice will fill your needs

How about a heavy Springfield M1A Loaded 6.5 Creedmoor? Add a Leupold 5HD or Mark 5HD
Unfortunately only bolt guns in Pa. and 50% of my hunting is done there. That would really limit its use. I do like the concept though.

WOW you are blest ! I mean 4 K is a tidy sum for what you say it will be used for. I'm thinking you could buy a good 270 Winchester and still have 2 K left for other goodies like reloading tools or whatever, Regardless whatever floats your boat . You are looking at custom features at 4 K including action and barrels etc.
Over the years I've bought/built a firearm for just abt every type animal in every type of circumstance. I'm at a point in my life where I want one or two rifles for everything. I have a nice setup in 300 WM and just need it's little brother. One thing time has taught me is to buy once cry once. Far to many times I tried to cut corners and spent twice as much then if I would have then if I'd just did it right the first time.

I just

I just built this 308 with a Kelbly Action and a PBB shouldered prefit that screwed right on with no special fitting needed. Shoots bug holes. 18" barrel and is good out to 600 yards with the right load. Used a Grayboe stock and a BixNAndy trigger. Just switched to temporary Arken scope on it for now but it's actually very nice for the money. I also have a 22", 7-08 switch barrel coming for it. Build done for less than 3k without the extra barrel.View attachment 321691View attachment 321692
I think we may have a winner here. May put it in an MPA chassis though.

Maybe this one?

A 26oz fixed, or the folder with a Arca Rail at 31 oz. MDT HNT26 Chassis

mdt-hnt26-chassis-system-black-carbon-fiber-on-white-folded-1024x683.jpg

I think we may have a winner here. May put it in an MPA chassis though.
That stock I used from Grayboe is in the 26-28oz area. Just a FYI. They also have a chassis setup now. Here's some range work from it. That's a 130 Barnes TTSX moving about 3100 FPS using AA2460, 308 18" barrel. Good on game out to about 600 yards. I was smacking Javelina steel targets at 550 yards with great accuracy. Going to move up to a 150 next range outing and see how it does. I've yet to switch and screw on the 7-08 but will be doing so next week when I'm off. Let me know if you need anything!

21C017D2-182D-4B8B-B5A3-C39C0E9795B1.jpeg
37455FB0-49E4-45A6-B0CA-B5B391815B1E.jpeg

I made my friend by his very first rifle, a Savage 110, with an accutrigger. It is the model that has the add on parts for the Butt and the comb. Chambered in 6.5 Creed . He can make the bullet holes touch with Federal Factory ammo, in 140 Grn . It shoots so well and he just loves it. He has shot my Weatherby Ultralight , in 270 Win. a few times, but the recoil is uncomfortable for him. Most likely he will never hunt deer, but he could . He completely enjoys shooting it. Nice rifle in a gentle caliber, with a Vortex scope. You don't need to spend way over a thousand to have fun shooting paper.

If'n it were me (spending your money) I'd get a titanium 3 lug action, Proof Research's "thinnest" CF wrapped barrel, Trigger Tech trigger and a Manners CF stock. Oh yeah, and an Accumag 4 or 5 round magazine

But you likely won't fund me so I'm sticking' to my 6.5 PRC Browning X-bolt. IMHO the best "semi-custom" rifle for the money.
Eric B.

Recent Posts