What rifle to build

Ok, so when I get stressed I build things, and considering that life kicked me square in the ba**'s at least a half a dozen times this week I thought I'd start working on a new rifle to get my mind off of things. It'll spend most of it's life sitting in a tree stand/blind chasing whitetail, black bear and hogs, but never pass up an opportunity at a stray coyote or bobcat. Occasionally it might go after mule deer and pronghorn but never elk or moose. So what should it be, a 6.5 creedmore? 308? Chassis or stock? What action, Tikka, Bergara? What trigger? What glass, Night Force? Vortex? Mark 5? Point me in the right direction. Budget with glass is around $4k.
You still have 4 K......life hasn't kicked you that hard!

Ok, so when I get stressed I build things, and considering that life kicked me square in the ba**'s at least a half a dozen times this week I thought I'd start working on a new rifle to get my mind off of things. It'll spend most of it's life sitting in a tree stand/blind chasing whitetail, black bear and hogs, but never pass up an opportunity at a stray coyote or bobcat. Occasionally it might go after mule deer and pronghorn but never elk or moose. So what should it be, a 6.5 creedmore? 308? Chassis or stock? What action, Tikka, Bergara? What trigger? What glass, Night Force? Vortex? Mark 5? Point me in the right direction. Budget with glass is around $4k.

WOW you are blest ! I mean 4 K is a tidy sum for what you say it will be used for. I'm thinking you could buy a good 270 Winchester and still have 2 K left for other goodies like reloading tools or whatever, Regardless whatever floats your boat . You are looking at custom features at 4 K including action and barrels etc.

I just
I just built this 308 with a Kelbly Action and a PBB shouldered prefit that screwed right on with no special fitting needed. Shoots bug holes. 18" barrel and is good out to 600 yards with the right load. Used a Grayboe stock and a BixNAndy trigger. Just switched to temporary Arken scope on it for now but it's actually very nice for the money. I also have a 22", 7-08 switch barrel coming for it. Build done for less than 3k without the extra barrel.
83639216-5C6C-48A6-BB90-F99D0B798FF8.jpeg
896302AB-EE98-4433-9B1C-404FCC85114F.jpeg

Here's how I'd spell Relief in $4,000 or less:
Springfield 2020 Waypoint in 6.5 Creedmoor - 22" barrel in case your tree stand is cramped. SS and Cerakoted barrel and action in the event you're in a wet environment. Plus, the 2020 is a quality component rifle.
Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6 x 24 with Vortex Pro rings for optics. This Vortex is super bright and imo, 6-power is fine out to 300 yards while 1-power allows for quick acquisition at +\- 40 yards. The illumination helps in lowlight.
Merry Christmas 🎄

Be different and have fun with it .... 338 Federal (no love for it in this forum seems like)

Last edited:
How about a heavy Springfield M1A Loaded 6.5 Creedmoor? Add a Leupold 5HD or Mark 5HD

Made the 1st kill with 7-08 120 Hammer Hunters two days ago. 115 pound doe at 165 yards. She was facing slightly left front on . bullet enter between neck and left shoulder. Dropped without a twitch. I whole heartedly recommend the cartridge and bullet. CA Arms Ridge line, Leupold 3-15 x44 ZL2 fire dot reticle. 3125 fps. This is in your budget.

Last edited:
How about a heavy Springfield M1A Loaded 6.5 Creedmoor? Add a Leupold 5HD or Mark 5HD
Awesome combination (though I don't own any of the CMs) Love the 14 types.

Be different! Fun is in the building!!!

6.5x55. My version of Quigley down under. Ruger No. 1 28" Douglas premium 1-8 twist light Palma Contour barrel. Ken Farrel 20 moa rail and rings. EC tuner brake. Action bedded, barrel floated, trigger 3lbs. Harris Bipod. Swarovski X5i 3.5-18x50.

If shooting factory ammo, availability should be part of the consideration. Absolutely hate to admit this but 6.5CM ammo seems to be quite available even in premium bullet config. If I didn't already have 2 .270's I might of thought of acquiring a 6.5CM but I just prefer the .270.

There are plenty of really good factory 6.5CM rifles in every config from PR to all sorts of LR config and everything in between. Just depends on whether you have a soft spot for certain manufacturer.

With your budget you can get really good factory, optics, rangefinder and Kestrel!