What brand Chrono to get?

I have made an adapter mount for my Magnetospeed V3 that works on most of my rifles. It had made readings more consistent too. What I like about the Magnetospeed is it fits in my pack and is very accurate. It adjusts it for length and height to accommodate muzzle brakes and Supressors. Here are photos of two examples. I probably will get a lab radar at some point for advanced load development, but they have issues too, battery consumption, don't like muzzle brake blast, are expensive, and not as easy to carry. Lots of things to consider. I think both have their place. View attachment 225487View attachment 225488
That's a very nice setup you have. That takes care of any point of impact change, probably the best setup I've seen.

My first Chorongraph was the Oehler 33, purchased around 1976. Not only clocked my hand loads but also did some testing for a writer for Guns & Ammo.
About ten years ago, just before the Lab Radar came out I purchased the Oehler 35P. The unit has with 3 Sky Screens to take two velocity readings, for each shot, and lets you verify the accuracy between these readings. When they agree, you know they are right. If the readings disagree significantly on a single shot, you know that sometimes the conditions and surroundings can fool a chronograph, so the 35P will let you know.
When I test loads, I test speed as well as group size on paper and document everything. For this reason the Magneto Speed isn't my choice because of barrel harmonics.
This summer I clocked shot shell loads for many members at out sportsman's club, something the Lab Radar can't do.
I will admit, I am interested in a Lab Radar and as soon as soon as I feel I can trust it, will purchase one just because of set-up time and saving strings memory card.

That's a very nice setup you have. That takes care of any point of impact change, probably the best setup I've seen.
Thanks for your kind compliment! I never really noticed any POI shift on my Desert Tech with it's heavy barrel. I would shoot 1/2 and even 1/4 moa groups just fine, but the nylon strap setup doesn't stay tight, and I heard this can cause errors and more ES, so after seeing others make mounts, I built mine. It mounts on a pic rail that I also use for my bipod. It really works well and is completely adjustable. I shoot groups and get all velocity data. I like to get as much data as I can every time I shoot.

I own both the labradar and the magnetospeed (with a stock mount, not barrel mounted). The reason I own both is that I own a couple of rifles for which the labradar can't measure velocity on the small, high-velocity bullets (ie, 22-250 and 257 Wby) and the magnetospeed measures their velocity just fine. I love them both but their use and their convenience of use differs. If I just shot the bigger/slower bullets I'd just own the labradar for its convenience.

Any one but a Chrony. Or I'll sell you mine cheap. I have had to buy new software twice to save it to my PC when I upgraded computer because the software would not run on it. And I verified that it indicated too slow and Chrony would not fix it.

Any one but a Chrony. Or I'll sell you mine cheap. I have had to buy new software twice to save it to my PC when I upgraded computer because the software would not run on it. And I verified that it indicated too slow and Chrony would not fix it.
How much is cheap and does it include the software? Computers are hobby, so I have saved systems back as far as MSDOS I can use..................

In my opinion, a chronograph is a critical piece of precision reloading equipment, so anything you can get that will accurately measure your bullet speed is better than guessing. That being said, I agree the Labradar product is probably the best technology for speed measurement that is available to regular consumers. I will say I had significant challenges getting mine to function consistently, but Labradar has excellent customer service and my unit is working better with new microphones. Nothing works perfectly all the time, but it sits behind my muzzle, so can't shoot it, doesn't influence the trajectory, easy set up, down range readings and high precision....., it is hard to beat the Labradar. Pricey, but this hobby is expensive no matter how you look at it, and knowing your speed is critical information if you reload for precision.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.