What brand Chrono to get?

I just bought the magnetospeed sporter off midway for $160. It was delivered yesterday haven't had a chance to try. I couldn't justify the cost of getting the v3 or the lab radar for what I am going to use for. We will see if I'm satisfied with my decision some time this week. Maybe it will be for sale on here next week. 😆

You will be I've bought almost all chromosomes at one point. And I still go to my magneto speed.
Easy to setup. And group size doesn't seem to change just point of impact.

I have the magnetospeed and have used it on all of my guns. Some have muzzle breaks and some don't. No issues. Just make sure you attach to barrel behind the break to prevent from blowing it up. (Buddy of mine did!). Extremely easy and quick install to get accurate speeds. The only downside is the POI change, but I develop the best load and group that I am happy with then grab the speed info to confirm. Can't beat it for the price too.

Had a Caldwell. Lucky my son shot it so forced me to buy something else.
Went with Magnetospeed v3. Also bought a Wiser Precision holder. Works as advertised. I had to take suppressor cover off, but that's it. The data loader is antiquated and I had to learn how use Excel to record data are my only complaints. Plus why won't they create an app that works.

I have made an adapter mount for my Magnetospeed V3 that works on most of my rifles. It had made readings more consistent too. What I like about the Magnetospeed is it fits in my pack and is very accurate. It adjusts it for length and height to accommodate muzzle brakes and Supressors. Here are photos of two examples. I probably will get a lab radar at some point for advanced load development, but they have issues too, battery consumption, don't like muzzle brake blast, are expensive, and not as easy to carry. Lots of things to consider. I think both have their place.
20200811_174341-1.jpg
20201012_175652.jpg

First, I took a look inside my wallet, and after the moths flew out, I had enough to go on eBay and Craigslist and have a Caldwell and a Chrony Beta Master. Total investment: Just under $100.00. I figure it will get me started to see if they are useful to me. So far, where I shoot, they have electronic scoring, so I get my terminal velocities. I can extrpolate to muzzle velocity, in a way, target-based velocities. To date that has been enought to tell me what my ammo is doing at my different shooting distance. Since I want to do more load development. that is why I am wating to spend an large amounts on one.

If your need is to get a few velocities without shooting groups Magnetospeed is the way to go for the money. If you want to collect a lot of velocities while also shooting groups then LabRadar is worth the investment. I have each and mostly use the LabRadar.

I'm pretty happy with my magnetospeed V3. Like others have said POI shift is the main disadvantage, but for my use, it suits the bill/cost. I use it at first shooting a ladder to find a node and top end velocity, then later to verify the speed of a finer tuned accuracy load. After getting familiar with the setup, I've not had trouble with keeping it put on multiple barrels.

Last edited:
I have a magnetospeed that has been used on just about every different type of barrel contour/brake setup and have never had to do what you suggested.

I agree with Rick, been using the Magneto Speed for several years now & never had a problem, quick set-up & very little POI shift. I use it for numbers only & remove it for groups!

nmbarta is correct.
The 2 best are labradar and magnetospeed. The only issue with the Labradar is shooting suppressed. It can drop shots. But the extra trigger solves that issue. It is easier to use, no change in POI. No brainer if you test a lot. If you don't test much, then the extra cost may not be worth the benefits.

I'm pretty happy with my magnetospeed V3. Like others have said POI shift is the main disadvantage, but for my use, it suits the bill/cost. I use it at first shooting a ladder to find a node and top end velocity, then later to verify the speed of a finer tuned accuracy load. After getting familiar with the setup, I've had not trouble with keeping it put on multiple barrels.
Same thing here

Definitely time to break down and buy one. Whats the go to brand and model?
I currently use the Magneto-Speed V3 Chronograph.
It sets up fairly easy and is very reliable.
It is as easy to set set as plugging in a double ended cable, after you have attached your sensor to the barrel.

You can use it in any weather (Sunshine or Shade) without setting up diffuser panels 10' down range. Some brands of chronographs must be set up at say 10' downrange. This evolves the additional expense of a tripod.
Then you must attach a telephone cable in order to have the readout on your shooting bench if you have a chronograph that supports this, otherwise you must look down range and see if the readout is visible
Oh Yeah all less expensive units If used in bright sun require the use of the diffuser panels or you will not get a readout.
Nothing will prevent a unit such as the Magneto -Speed from performing. Neither sunlight, nor shade or even dusk will prevent it from doing what is required .
I could go on suffice to say the Magneto- Speed line of Chronographs ( V3 & Sporter) are proven performers without breaking the bank as you really do not need to spend money on additional accessories.
In all fairness the Magneto Speed can in some instances play with you barrels harmonics. However in my opinion it is not so much of a issue unless you are shooting for precision and have already established your lowest ED & SD numbers and are done with your load development stages.
In that case I would simply remove the sensor as your chronograph has already done its job.
The problem with Lab Radar is the additional costs incurred for the accessories needed for bench rest shooting(i.e.: stands etc.)
Hope this helps you out with you decision making!

Last edited:
If your need is to get a few velocities without shooting groups Magnetospeed is the way to go for the money. If you want to collect a lot of velocities while also shooting groups then LabRadar is worth the investment. I have each and mostly use the LabRadar.

I have both units, too, and echo what Ron posted, above. Labradar is super accurate and super easy to use. I have the external trigger (use it for archery), and never use it on my rifles because my Labradar triggers so reliably in stock form. In use, I shoot my foulers using both units, then, once I have confirmed both units are reading the same velocity (units read to within 0.1%, i.e. within 3fps of one another for a 3000fps load), I remove the Magnetospeed and shoot for groups with just the Labradar.

The Magnetospeed is super accurate and super reliable. It is even easier to operate than the Labradar, but both units are easy. A tiny nit against the Magentospeed is it is a little fiddly to attach to your barrel. Seems like that could be a problem for those with a brake, etc, on their barrel.

For the occasional speed measurer, or a person on a tight budget, the Magnetospeed is the best value. If you collect a lot of velocity data, or want something that won't affect your groups, then the Labradar is the better, but more expensive, choice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.