What is you longest kill with the 308win?

Not my longest but one that I enjoyed most.
360yd atlas joint shot on a Sika hind. Only the head was visible,
uphill drizzly conditions. 155 A-max.
edi

So what is your longest kill to date with the .308? What bullet did you use? Looks like the 155 made a mess of things!

Tank

So what is your longest kill to date with the .308? What bullet did you use? Looks like the 155 made a mess of things!

Tank

Longest deer was a small sika calf just over 400yds. 155 a-max work fine at that range.
Didn't use the 308 much last season because the old sako didn't feed well. I started converting her to an AICS mag system and will use her more again
once that is sorted.
edi

Red deer taken at 470yds with 168 A-Max from my custom Sako Forester.
edi
DSCN6263.jpg

My longest kill with my Mil Spec 308 with a MK4 3.5x10 Mildot was a coyote at 550 yards. This was memorable because my battery in my rangefinder was dead and used my Mildot to get a range on him. I have shot mule deer and whitetail out to 300 yards. My favorite bullets are the Hornady 165 SST and 165 Ballistic Tips loaded to 2800 with 45.3 gr of Varget. Both bullets produce 2.5", 5 shot groups at 500 yards and perform well at 308 velocities.

My longest kill to date with a .308 is a head shot on a groundhog at 632 yards using a 168 Nosler custom comp. I use 168 Berger hybrids now. Did a good job on a deer at 150yds.

I really don't hunt longrange with my .308 even though it is an exceptionally accurate rifle. I did, however, drop this nice buck in a cotton field with a 155gr A-Max. A single shot at 200 yds did the job.

Occoneechee_Lodge_2010_009.jpg

Occoneechee_Lodge_2010_009.jpg

My longest 308 kill was also my longest to date. 1163 yds on a coyote. 155 amax over 46.9 gr of varget. lapua brass fed 210. I would love to say it was my first shot but that yote had two warnings first. Hole in him was in the middle of his back from the sharp downward angle. Rifle is a stainless howa varmint. Love that gun. Longest deer was 709yds, same load. That is about as far as I will shoot a deer with that gun. Amax still performed well.

I know I will probably get Looked down upon for this, but the farthest that I have taken an animal with my 308 was a little three point muley at 1015 yards. The bullet entered through the facing shoulder and didn't exit. Deer went about 15 yards and tipped over. That's my farthest but I have also taken several deer and antelope from the 500-800 yard range. I was shooting 168gr. A-Max on top of 42gr. Rl 15.

Awesome stuff here, I have 2 308's and love them, just haven't had a decent long shot yet. This tells me I'm solid with good placement out to 600 on whitetail. Pumped, I love my loaded 308 at 6 1/4 lbs., scoped.

my farthest kill with the 308 winchester is just 2 days ago now and was a coyote at 1275 +/- had to range a bush to get a good reading and was pushing a 215 berger out of a 22.85" shillen select match barrel mounted on a remington 700 with a weaver 3-15x50 emdr up top dropped right there

my farthest kill with the 308 winchester is just 2 days ago now and was a coyote at 1275 +/- had to range a bush to get a good reading and was pushing a 215 berger out of a 22.85" shillen select match barrel mounted on a remington 700 with a weaver 3-15x50 emdr up top dropped right there
Could you please tell us a little about your load data. Powder, primer, OAL?

there is actually a link on the elr that shows exact specs of my rifle and load but it is 215 bergers sitting on 48.5 grains of reloder 17 sitting winchester brass

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.