What is the Typical Distance Range You Kill Big Game At?

Typical Distance You Kill Game At?

• Total voters
That's a lot of elk at sub 100 yards, are you hunting public or private?

Open country or forrested?

I've taken and been around a lot of elk taken over the years (well into the triple digits) but there's been a small number taken sub 100 yds.

While I have taken a few Mule deer at a bit over 600 yards most were taken at between 100 to 300 yards.Many elk were taken at 250 to 400 yards and a miss at 600 yards.I have never had a shot on elk under 250 yards on an elk.I wish I had but not for me.I can't complain as I have had many years of taking elk every year until I got old!

Last edited:
Rooster-we've both been around the elk game to know that not all elk hunting is the same. Many many different types of hunts.

I have a couple out of state buddies from east coast that have come out on guided hunts on private land and just can't sort out why I say it can be so challenging and physically demanding. ..

Many different types that include may different degree's of ease or difficulty on getting on the game.

I've been hunting for 40+ years, mostly open country in the Rocky Mountains. For the first 35 years, the average would be in the 200 yard range. Some closer. Some further.

During the last five years in North America (6-7 animals) my average rifle kill is over 400 yards. In Africa, the range has always been less than 200 yds, often much less.

I tried bow hunting elk but man it was too tough!Always just out of reach!
Happy for you though.
The bow hunting has REALLY gotten tough now with all the people moving to Idaho ( over the counter resident tags) and the wolves Taking more than their share and changing the Elk's habits.
It's been a few years since I have killed one now with a bow