What is you longest kill with the 308win?

I suck at long range hunting- I can kill rocks way out there but for some reason I always end up shooting critters close in. My longest 308 kill...... Ready? 35 yards!

175 yds, coyote. Just starting out. Stevens long action with 22" green mt heavy barrel. 178 amax from SW AMMO. 900 lb moose was my previous longest at 75 yds with an old semi with 150 core loks. I love my little 308!

My first post here, but over Christmas break I did make the longest shot with my .308 on an animal so I figured I should join and chime in!

Anyways, my shot killed a feral dog at 463 yards. As I was sighting in my rifle with one of our dogs nearby, a group of feral dogs came by and started causing trouble. I yelled at them to scare them away a little, and then our dog (a heeler mix) went after them to chase them completely off of the property. She was able to get them almost off until what appeared to be the alpha of the pack stood his ground. Now, I know our dog was more than capable of finishing him off, as she has killed her fair share of feral dogs, but I wanted to see just how good my aim was. One shot and he dropped straight down.

Here is where I was target shooting when it happened (I kinda had an advantage cause I had been practicing at 500 yards before the dogs showed up :cool:)

IMG_20121230_142056_zps4c6c8fb9-1_zpsb00e0e7c.jpg

The dog was a little past the 2nd electrical pole on the right side when he made his last stand. Shot was made with Federal Gold Medal Match 175 gr.

My first post here, but over Christmas break I did make the longest shot with my .308 on an animal so I figured I should join and chime in!

Anyways, my shot killed a feral dog at 463 yards. As I was sighting in my rifle with one of our dogs nearby, a group of feral dogs came by and started causing trouble. I yelled at them to scare them away a little, and then our dog (a heeler mix) went after them to chase them completely off of the property. She was able to get them almost off until what appeared to be the alpha of the pack stood his ground. Now, I know our dog was more than capable of finishing him off, as she has killed her fair share of feral dogs, but I wanted to see just how good my aim was. One shot and he dropped straight down.

Here is where I was target shooting when it happened (I kinda had an advantage cause I had been practicing at 500 yards before the dogs showed up :cool:)

IMG_20121230_142056_zps4c6c8fb9-1_zpsb00e0e7c.jpg

The dog was a little past the 2nd electrical pole on the right side when he made his last stand. Shot was made with Federal Gold Medal Match 175 gr.
Welcome to LRH. What's your set up?

I think I have fallen in love with the .308 Win. Ordered a Browning X bolt Varmint Stalker. Can't wait to make it my go to rifle. I have three boys that will shoot this same caliber. I believe in practice makes perfect and the 308 is the perfect practice round. My 10yr. old dropped an elk at 205 yds. One shot with a 165 accubond clean pass through. I was sold after that.

I have taken 2 wild hogs with my 308, winchester 70 push feed action broughton 20" 1-10 twist pushing a 175 SMK @ 2690. First hog was 725 and second was 815, both dropped in there tracks. These hogs were shot center shoulder and both rounds exited the off shoulder, Now to work up a load for my new Surgeon Scapel 308 just got it friday.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts