What distance is considered long range?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by VG370, Jul 22, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Ross1147

Ross1147 Well-Known Member

Sorry not trying to derail this post, just the most recent post Rick commented on.

Rick, you mind sending me s PM again concerning those bullets? Your PM was deleted and I can’t PM you. Thanks! And sorry again.

2. MOOSE39465

MOOSE39465 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Your equipment determines what long range is imo.

NDF likes this.
  3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I noticed some of my post responses this AM are deleted. I guess I missed some fun stuff. :D

TwoMore likes this.
  4. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

The website went down and several posts were lost in several threads

TwoMore and FEENIX like this.
  5. John Klingenberg

John Klingenberg Well-Known Member

In many years teaching military courses I've decided that at about 550 yards is where things change, doesnt matter the caliber. You can teach up to 550 pretty quick. Students stay pretty consistent and hit the majority of times. You can make mistakes behind the gun that are absorbed by the statistics of an accurate weapon system. I.E. The probability of a hit due to the ammo, time of flight, and general accuracy of the rifle. But I noticed that progress slows down after that and it takes longer to make consistent hits on smaller targets. The problem gets expanded exponentially as range stretches. 550 is my magic number.

Frog4aday and 35 Whelen like this.
  6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Got it, thanks. Just curious as some that I responded to has some negative connotations and thought Admin was doing some clean up actions. :D

7. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

PM sent. Thank so much!

8. NDF

NDF Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think the last word of this site gets lost in the shuffle, don't get me wrong I love reading and learning from others insight and knowledge applied to their experiences, that being said, any hunter who has to apply the use of the terms windage and elevation to whatever firearm there using 45-70 to the 338 LM or the ol' smokepoles constitutes long range if they can't hunt any more to close the distance before they squeeze, everyone's skill level varies ...