long range big game

wthwind

I am planning on getting into hunting elk at ranges up to 800 or 900 yards away. what would be the best cartridge and scope to use.

I am planning on getting into hunting elk at ranges up to 800 or 900 yards away. what would be the best cartridge and scope to use.

Welcome! :)

In my opinion, the best is a very subjective term. I think any of the big 30's to 338's work well on elk at those ranges. 300 RUM, 338 RUM or improved versions of it, 338 LM ect...The important thing here is accuracy, shot placment AND bullet proper bullet selection.

As far as scopes go......So many of them work so well. The lupy mark 4's to Nightforce are all top performers. Again it boils down to application. Make sure what ever you use has either adjustable turrets or hold over marks on the reticle. The leupold TMR works well for these calibers to 800-900 yards. The Night force NP-R1, NP-R2 and MLR also work very well. I prefer the MLR with the Mil radian turrets as I do all my adjustmenst and calculations in Mils.

welcome! There are lots of answers to that question with all these threads. Have a look around and do a little research. Lots to learn.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.