What is long range to you?

yardage an caliber/cartridage

• Total voters
35Whelan---what do you consider long range for your whelen? I am asking because I want one and am wondering with lots of practice what it's limits are. I know I should get a 338/06 but there's just something about that 35 that just makes me gotta have it!

For me under 400 is close range 400-600 is intermediate range requiring some thought regarding wind and range 600-1000 would be long range. Requiring more attention to detail (wind, range, animals demeanor) This is all in the context of hunting with a suitable center fire cartridge

500 is the max I give myself. At this range there are no issues, unless its one of those days when you just can't with the wind, when the wind blows and gusts 30 to 40 mph, which are pretty common, can't take that risk. I've seen bullets hit dead center on metal plate at 500 meters and then the next shot miss the center by 6" to a foot with a simple wind gust

That said most of my shots are around 300. I do prefer to get closer but then there are days with just a light brezze when the 500 shot is just perfect.

Every hunting situation is different, and we have to make the best decision for the animal on the other end.

35Whelan---what do you consider long range for your whelen? I am asking because I want one and am wondering with lots of practice what it's limits are. I know I should get a 338/06 but there's just something about that 35 that just makes me gotta have it!
I have shot out to just under 400 yards with the Speer 220gr. fp. I have a very good load with the Nosler 225gr. partition that shoots faster and I'm shore flatter but have not had the chance to try past 100 yards at this time. If the conditions are good, the animal standing still, and a good rest I'd do 500 yards, but I don't think I'd ever go past that for hunting. I have read some say the 35 Whelen has all most the same trajectory as the 30-06. I have heard others say the 35 Whelen is only good to 300 yards and that may be so for them, but after shooting it myself I can say it will defiantly go farther than 300. As with any cartridge you just need to spend some time shooting to see were your comfort zone is with it. I think you will love the 35 Whelen.

Just thought I'd give a not to every one, the yardage and cartridges were chosen just to add some fun to the conversation. I was going to have more choses but only had a limited number of spaces available. Please feel free to share the cartridges you use.

I'll fill in the blanks for your question pertaining to our chosen cartridges, plus energy (for those who entertain such thoughts) and velocity, at our chosen maximum yardage for use on game. memtb

Wife's: .338 WM. Maximum yards for use 500 - velocity - 2104 energy - 2212

Inches low using our 300 yard zero - - 27"

Mine: .375 AI Maximum yards for use 600 - velocity - 1906 energy - 2018

Inches low using our 300 yard zero - - 51"

Last edited:
Long range is as a classification as setups change. I thing 200 yards with my open sighted .22 is long range. Center fire rifle starts at around 5-6 in my eyes. Elr is over 1k. This is my thoughts on it.

Thanks 35Whelen. Hope I 'll be able to get to 500 but as long as 400 is reasonable then I think I will love it. As long as the one I get likes it then the 225 partition is at the top of my list for all around hunting. Even though I will take the right shot out to 700 I try to get to 300 or less.

Thanks 35Whelen. Hope I 'll be able to get to 500 but as long as 400 is reasonable then I think I will love it. As long as the one I get likes it then the 225 partition is at the top of my list for all around hunting. Even though I will take the right shot out to 700 I try to get to 300 or less.
The Nosler accubond 225gr. shot about the same with the same powder, My rifle gets just a little tighter group with the partitions. They would make a good option to try to just to see what your gun likes best.

Okay well ,It is a combination of two things . Terrain first and foremost .. then dependent on the game hunted and wether it necessitates a larger or smaller caliber then the Caliber . Thick cover , brush , laurel or Alder thickets can change a lot of stuff . So metimes even forcing me to go to a large hunting revolver like my 460 S&W Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.