What is long range to you?

yardage an caliber/cartridage

• Total voters
On game animals my longest range is however far I can consistently keep my groups sub-moa from field shooting positions. Most of my rifles that yardage is 600 yards and under, that's as far as my shooting ability will allow me to be consistent sub-moa from backpack and/or bipod from prone shooting position and a sporter weight rifle.

I prefer 700 yds and in on my hunts with my .280s due to bullet energy at the target and being comfortable to make a clean, accurate kill. With my 7mm-08s, I limit to 600 yds and in.

General hunting in decent conditions i consider anything over 400 yards a long poke. I am comfortable past that but that's where I start considering it a long shot.
With my 223 and 30-30 anything past 200 with head shots for the 223.
22lr(not on deer) over 100 yards. Why do so few people realize that a 22 is capable of 300+! Lol

My usual for beginning long range is the half mile and beyond, but I use short range as 0-440, medium 440-880yds and long 880-1320yds. Obvious 1/4 mile breaks. Beyond 1320 is X-range (extra longe)

In high power target shooting 600 is mid range. Long range starts at 800 and out. I shoot 600, 1000 and 1760. Watched a video last night of a guy hitting ( to me ) a small plate at 6000 yards. Look it up.

What I see consistently in this post is we have a range that we shoot comfortably at home in ideal situations. However, on live animals, in real time hunting conditions with wind, angles, heart rate up, etc, we need to dial that back many hundred yards so that when we pull the trigger we know that bullet will arrive as intended. I do not like the idea of hunters "trying" a long shot on an animal -

Trying long shots is for rocks and targets, long range shooting takes lots of time behind the gun and just as much time doping the wind. Wind will get you every time.

My long range hunting distance runs 400 to 700 yards with animals from Antelope, Bear, Deer, and Elk shot at those distances. I heard it said one time, "practice at twice the distance you are willing to take a shot in the field and that will improve your technique and accuracy."

In hunting scenarios 500+ is long range to me, you rarely get to have a perfect stabile shot. Bench shooting to where I can get very stable I would say 800+.

Depends on the rifle set up and round. .308 ELR is different from ELR for .338LM. An 800yd shot with a .308 can be more complex/difficult than a 800yd shot with the 338LM.
Target LR for me is 600+
Hunting LR I'd say 300+

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.