What is long range hunting?

Faina338

Hi guys,
I'm new here in this forum, but I hunt with rifles from about 12 years. I live in the Alps, in Italy, where I hunt.
Probably I'm not a long range hunter, but some days ago I ask me: what is long range hunting? Depends!!! If using handgun at 100y is long range. I think there are may factors that we need to value. As hunter one of the most important is to place the bullet on the vital zone of the animal we hunt. Shooting and hunting is not the same, error on the paper in not a big problem, but to wound and loos an animal is not good.
Sure, many long range hunters are also great shooters and this is good why training is very important.
I'll theach nothing, you have sure more experience that me, I'll learn!!!
My range is not so long, I would like to extend this, but the worry to wound animals adwise me to shoot not too long.

Faina

thats why you have to set limits for your self. start practicing and you will extend your limits. if the shot is farther then you have practiced and become comfortable then move in closer or dont take the shot.

Faina

I consider long range with a pistol or a rifle any shot that requires
a change in elevation or windage from the basic zero.

Zero's can be at any distance (50yrds +) Even at a 1000yrds you
may have a zero but still have to adjust for conditions (temp,elevation,
humidity,wind,ETC).

The next time you go out to shoot try this !

Cold bore (first shot) pick a target/object well past your rifle/pistol
zero.

Study,range,read the wind and decide how to make the ONE SHOT KILL

Use all the tools that will be available to you while hunting to make the
shot.

Then use all of your shooting skills to make the best shot possible.

Set your limmits on impact dia based on the game size and toughness.

If you dont do well ,learn from the shot. Now you can make more shots
to find out what went wrong.

Once you become proficient at this distance then move futher out and
practice,practice,practice.

Good luck and good Hunting
J E CUSTOM

Faina,

What a wonderful place to be. Just a short drive to the north and there appears to be opportunity for long range shooting.

The area to your north looks very much like the mountains around Salmon Idaho USA south of the Montana Border. Latitude and elevations are about the same also. My ancestors come from a bit south of you. I would like to go there some day.

Follow what J.E. Custom said and you will do well.

ItalianAlps.jpg

J E, what do you write is wise. I'll follow your adwise. Probably sometimes I could shot longer, but I have to train more. Accuracy from my rifle-ammo combination is good for shooting up to 400-450y (0.6 MOA), and this is long range for me.
You see, one big problem at this distance is to understand the category of the animal. Normaly I hunt Chamois and there is a very little difference between female and bull. To value this I need time and a lot experience, ok, I'm not a roockie, but it's not easy!!!

Roy, it's true, I live in a woonderful country. I drive maximum 1 hour, then I can walk for many time and find some very nice place to hunt. It's not easy to walk in the mountain but I'm a mountain-man, I have no sodisfaction if it's not hard!!!

Thanks for your replies:D

Faina

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.