What is the Typical Distance Range You Kill Big Game At?

Typical Distance You Kill Game At?

• Total voters
The bow hunting has REALLY gotten tough now with all the people moving to Idaho ( over the counter resident tags) and the wolves Taking more than their share and changing the Elk's habits.
It's been a few years since I have killed one now with a bow
are the tags unlimited or limited?

do you have choose your weapon for elk or can one hunt all seasons with the tag?

140yds to 320yds average, although I have shot plenty of pigs over a water gap at the farm at 450ish yds, depending on which side of the low water crossing the choose to come under the fence.

are the tags unlimited or limited?

do you have choose your weapon for elk or can one hunt all seasons with the tag?
For Elk there is an "A" tag and a "B" tag. You chose one or the other. The A tag has a better Archery season and a bit better muzzle loader season and the B tag has a better any weapon season but with both tags you get a riffle, archery and muzzle loader season of some sort to try to fill the one tag that you get over the counter as a resident.
I fear that with all the people moving to Idaho that it will not be over the counter for much longer.

That's a lot of elk at sub 100 yards, are you hunting public or private?

Open country or forrested?

I've taken and been around a lot of elk taken over the years (well into the triple digits) but there's been a small number taken sub 100 yds.
That's true, and most of those were Cows. When you hunt the same area for many years, you get to know the most likely Paths of the animals when pushed, and you set-up in an advantageous position. Most Public lands see a lot of pressure, so you use that pressure to your advantage.

Where I hunt in Southern Wyoming, I'm in either Meadows or Clear cuts, Some relatively open timber, or logging roads, waiting on other hunters to push animals. They always do. I learned more than 30 years ago to Hike in and wait for other hunters to create my opportunities. Works like a charm. The Three Bulls over 100 yards were on Bald mountain sides. I couldn't get closer due to the wide open lack of cover, and therefore I was unable to get adequate concealment. The long shots were the best option.

Goats (Antelope) are out on the open prairie, and rarely present an opportunity closer than about 300yds. It happens, but not often, and then only by the grace of God. (or a ground blind near water. Not much in the way water where I hunt).

JK