What is the Typical Distance Range You Kill Big Game At?

Typical Distance You Kill Game At?

• Total voters
My brother always laughs at me. Spending money on rifles and scopes and getting out to shoot and try and do my best to develop accurate loads and etc etc. Then my shots are usually well under 350 yards. Well it's all fun, so I guess I get the last laugh.
That's funny,
My buddy's ask me why I got into loading a bit more precision loads for longer range hunting also since most my hunting for Elk is done at less than 30 yards with traditional archery equipment that I build!
Didn't stop them from having me do all their load development and loading their amo for them though!
But it is fun and they have killed some nice critters with my loads.:)
Took my longest shot (and kill) this past spring on a bear at 590 yrs.

My average deer shot is under 100 yards. The occasional one will go out to 150.
When hunting out of state about every 3rd year they will occasionally go out to 650 with most 450 or under.

Great question…. I think for a large part it depends on your hunt style (ambush vs spot and stalk) and the terrain.

For example, in steep country I find myself shooting from one hill to another which is generally close to 500 yards or more.

For me, I practice to ensure I can make an ethical shot regardless of the environment.

I constantly practice between 500-1000 but almost all my shots have been 200-350. With only one stretching out to 430. I could have shot mine this year at 525 but it was all to east to cut off another 200 and shot it at 307

Actually 100-200 yds are most common. Southern ILL is Shawnee National Forrest and heavily wooded area. If you don't own a lot of farm land, as I do, you don't have much of an opportunity to shoot distances at or greater than 800 yds. Plus big game rifle hunting is not allowed. I guess the powers to be are afraid that someone might get hurt. HAHA!

Generally sub 350 for me, though if I wanted I could be going to 1K for a lot of those shots. I just make the choice to get as close as I can.

I do a ton load of practicing out to 700 so the sub 500's feel like a chip shot:)

I like the stalk so 125 yards on big game is the longest so far. In my new area 500-700 yards is more common.