What is the Typical Distance Range You Kill Big Game At?

Typical Distance You Kill Game At?

• Total voters
Average is definitely right around 250-300 yards over the years. Recently in the past 5 years it's went up a bit but not too much as an average. A few long shots 500-930 don't sway the many 200-250 yard shots too much.

Truly long range opportunities are rare in the terrain that I normally hunt, so there have been some at 200 or so and even out to 350. But the average for me is pulled way down by all the deer that I normally get to pet a little first before I shoot them. That includes Crossbow hunting.

But I'm totally looking forward to and have been practicing for longer shots. If I get the opportunity and can be steady and have the time to make it a good shot, I won't hesitate to shoot a more mid-long range shot, since I have bee practicing for exactly that scenario and know my bullets will expand and do the job way out there.

Transitioning from the Midwest where most shots were made with a shotgun (Illinois) to the Great Southwest was an eye opener for me. A chip shot where I hunt is most likely 350 yards. On the flats between mountain ranges it runs out to 800 yards. But this can be mollified by shooting in the northern part of the state when woods shots and meadows can be somewhat closer, down to 300 yards and out especially if you shoot the power lines. I did shoot one Mule Deer at 75 yards when I jumped him up out of a brush pile...

Enjoy no matter what the range!

;)

Most of my hunting is in the #1 & #2, with some in #3 categories.

Longest Revolver Kill: 189 yards - Buck Antelope 357 Magnum custom GP-100 (Leupod Optic and 158 XTP)

Longest Whitetail was just under 600 - 6.5-284 Center-Grip XP-100 (Leupold Optic and the 140 A-Max)

Longest Mule Deer was right at 700 yards - 7mm-08 Center-Grip XP-100 (Leupold Optic and the 140 NBT)

Longest Elk was 666 yards - 7mm Dakota Center-Grip XP-100 (Leupold Optic and the 200 Wildcat)

Longest Antelope was 1036 yards - Center-Grip XP-100 7mm WSM (NF Optic and the 162 A-Max)

Longest Red Stag was 624 yards - 338 Lapua (Rifle-Zeiss Optic and the 285 grain LRAB)

I enjoy pistol hunting as well. My longest pistol elk kill was years ago @110 yards with a 10" contender in 44 mag and a 2x optic. That was the first time I saw how quickly a .44 can bring an elk down with a pure lung shot.

I mostly never kept track of big game yardages when I was younger since we didnt have rangefinders back then, but everything with a rifle was under 350 since past that was too hard for me to judge. Dad was always a much better long range offhand shot than I.

I've been steadily improving my long range game since getting back into big game hunting, but alas, I didnt need those skills this year since my elk kill was less than 80 yards (didn't bother ranging). The closer the better for me, I enjoy the stalk. That was one of the most enjoyable hunts I've had since I lost my dad/ hunting buddy.

Last edited:
Most of my life was in a slug gun state. 25-40 yards. Longest was 127 yards measured. Remington 1100 Slug Barrel with Simmons ProDiamond Slug Scope. 1 shot DRT. Sitting at base of tree, elbow on knee.
My profile pic is not the biggest but my most memorable. Had the flu/102 temp, about 17* degrees out, saw me at 25 yards, and trotted off to about 60. Federal 12ga 3" Barnes Expander Copper Solid. Double Lung Shot.

Now that I am in Nebraska 150-250.

Transitioning from the Midwest where most shots were made with a shotgun (Illinois) to the Great Southwest was an eye opener for me. A chip shot where I hunt is most likely 350 yards. On the flats between mountain ranges it runs out to 800 yards. But this can be mollified by shooting in the northern part of the state when woods shots and meadows can be somewhat closer, down to 300 yards and out especially if you shoot the power lines. I did shoot one Mule Deer at 75 yards when I jumped him up out of a brush pile...

Enjoy no matter what the range!

;)
That's where I grew up, hunting Crab Orchard NWR it's where I got my profile pic. Or hunting the Shawnee NF southwest of Golconda camping at Dixon Springs. Hunting public land in Illinois is not easy!

NE Oregon. Anything under 500 is right in front of you. "500+, just over there".
We shoot from one slope to the next. Lots of exercise.

Recent Posts