what is the best deer bullet in 30 cal --expansion vs. penetration

Catbrain

What bullet is accepted as time tested for deer - so that it doesnt exit and waste energy-- and doesnt expand too fast like a varmint bullet....
would the plastic tipped sierra game king be considered near the top ?
There was another sierra with a plastic tip (cant remember the model) but
it was believed to be opening up a bit too fast-- more a varmint bullet.
I would be shooting it either 308 or 30-06 handloads------
I have shot lots--- but new to hunting.
I have a box of 165 grain barnes tripple shock I bought and loaded for hog-- but never got to test out. Im thinking they open up too slow for deer--and deer are less tough than a hog. Would they likely pass through ?
Tim

I think you're gonna get a wide array of answers here. A good deer bullet is most all of them when put where it should be. I wouldn't get too wrapped up on pass through vs not….99% of deer I've shot the bullet passes through and the deer doesn't go more than 20 yds. The way I look at it is like this…if bullet A goes into a deer and stops but bullet B goes all the way through….B has at at the least created more of a total shockwave to the deer with its wound channel. Bullet A and B could be the exact same bullet with different results because of the difference in velocity on impact or where it impacted the deer (broadsided, quartering, head on, etc). The Barnes you mentioned are fine. Monos like to be pushed fast for the expansion you looking for. Just put em in a good spot and don't over think it.

What bullet is accepted as time tested for deer - so that it doesnt exit and waste energy-- and doesnt expand too fast like a varmint bullet....
I have a box of 165 grain barnes tripple shock I bought and loaded for hog-- but never got to test out. Im thinking they open up too slow for deer--and deer are less tough than a hog. Would they likely pass through ?
Tim
Nosler partition

Tim
What you described is precisely what Berger bullets are designed for.

I was a long-time Nosler Partition, BT, and AB before converting to Berger. I have a good inventory of lead and lead-free bullets, but the Berger is now my go-to bullet.

The Barnes should work; as far as a pass-through, it depends on the shot placement and velocity/energy at POI.

Good luck with your bullet choice.

Last edited:
deer are thin skinned and light boned. Definitely not as robust as a hog but still bullet construction needs to be considered.
Sounds like you need to look at a 130 Sierra pro hunter or a 125 hornady sst. If I was worried about over penetration these are the bullets I would look at.

The Barnes bullets are great for expansion and weight retention. Seems that a lot of bullets today are designed to fragment. I personally don't care for a fragmenting bullet because it damages more of the meat. If a good shot is made with a gun that has adequate energy and a bullet that remains it's weight you don't have to track an animal. I hunt deer with Barnes and have never had an issue with them not doing the job

i have some 150 gr hor. interlock prijectiles.
I also found a new old box of 150 gr PMC with plastic tipped game kings. (didnt know I even had them)

the berger commercial seemed to drive the nail in that was in my mind :)

mike--- I think the idea is that if the bullet exited with x amount of energy--- that was energy you could have used inside the target for tissue damage -- that was instead wasted. I can see there might be situations where enhanced penetration could be an assiette. But I suspect less so on a deer. i am thinking that would be where the barnes mono might have an advantage----