what is the best deer bullet in 30 cal --expansion vs. penetration

Ask someone who has went after Cape Buffalo and what they think about the concept of "Energy Dump" and the bullet expending all its energy inside the animal, I know what my response would be.

2 holes with as much significant damage between them as possible as the bullet can do. And that damage should include crushing bone and traversing a great deal of animal and exiting.

Ever have to swim/ wade out into a bog to help recover a moose because the bullet and or placement selection allowed the animal to exit stage right instead of being anchored. Hypothermia is not your friend add in fading light and it was not a memorable occasion.

Oh boy, quite the pandora's box you've open here.

From my experience, good shot placement trumps bullet selection. However, we're not always given the perfect broadside shot presentation nor are any of us perfect shooters every time. That being said, I like the insurance of heavy penetration, two hole vs. one hole with the "energy dump."

My choices:
1. Monolith or bonded bullets
2. Cup and core
3. Frangable

Because all the potential and kinetic energy was not spent on the animal.

The beauty of a bullet that does not have to be effective to have a pass-through is you reduce the risk of shooting what is behind the intended target.

There was a video that was circulated here and all over the web that killed what was behind the intended target.

4. BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEYOND IT

Man Hunting
No one can call a shot back. Once a gun fires, you have given up all control over where the shot will go or what it will strike. Don't shoot unless you know exactly what your shot is going to strike. Be sure that your bullet will not injure anyone or anything beyond your target. Firing at a movement or a noise without being absolutely certain of what you are shooting at constitutes disregard for the safety of others. No target is so important that you cannot take the time before you pull the trigger to be absolutely certain of your target and where your shot will stop.

Be aware that even a 22 short bullet can travel over 1 1/4 miles and a high velocity cartridge, such as a 30-06, can send its bullet more than 3 miles. Shotgun pellets can travel 500 yards, and shotgun slugs have a range of over half a mile.

You should keep in mind how far a bullet will travel if it misses your intended target or ricochets in another direction.

I believe that this covers that pretty well! memtb

O.P. lntends to shoot deer with a rapid expanding .308 bullet at medium velocity.
Exit holes, theory, and cape buffalo bullet performance, not to mention whatever may be beyond the intended target aren't helping dude get an answer to his question.
And yes Catbrain your Barnes will likely pass through a deer from most angles.
But I can't think of anything better for a big plated up and mud covered boar hog. They put bullets to the test from about any angle.

O.P. lntends to shoot deer with a rapid expanding .308 bullet at medium velocity.
Exit holes, theory, and cape buffalo bullet performance, not to mention whatever may be beyond the intended target aren't helping dude get an answer to his question.
And yes Catbrain your Barnes will likely pass through a deer from most angles.
But I can't think of anything better for a big plated up and mud covered boar hog. They put bullets to the test from about any angle.
Yep, that's why I responded as such in #7.

Actually, I think that a well rounded discussion, including a wander off into the weeds... will probably go further to helping him towards his selection than someone just saying pick " That" bullet.

180 nosler partition will travel the length of a large deer and be under the hide at rear quarters when shot through the neck and chest

Remington Core-Lokt. Dropping the most deer since 1939. Just sayin'.
I second this. My family has used Remington Corelokts out of a 25.06 since 1980 to kill countless deer, pigs, coyotes, and a couple of elk. They are not flashy or new but they do work. I have never lost a deer and I use 100 grain mainly.
During the Kung Flu I switched to Hornaday spire points. They work just as well. Last year my son killed a bull elk with 130 Norma soft point at approx. 300 yds. from his .270 It did its job and broke his offside shoulder. He turned around and stood for maybe twom minutes before he fell dead.

Last edited:
Nosier BT would be my choice. They really shine when shot out of standard type calibers that aren't speed demons. Really for deer any bullet will work. If you like two whole go with accubonds or sometime of mono. If you like more Frangible BT, Berger, SST, LRAB, and most cup/core bullets work fine. What is available to you, and what shoots good out of your gun is more important than cup/core or mono type.