what is the best deer bullet in 30 cal --expansion vs. penetration

mike--- I think the idea is that if the bullet exited with x amount of energy--- that was energy you could have used inside the target for tissue damage -- that was instead wasted. I can see there might be situations where enhanced penetration could be an assiette. But I suspect less so on a deer. i am thinking that would be where the barnes mono might have an advantage----
I suppose I understand the thinking but in reality, by the time a bullet passes the rough an animal the bullets has done all the work it's gonna do. The velocity will be low enough that it won't be crushing and destroying any more tissue.
this is evident in gel block testing. The permanent cavity is done in the first 12" or less of penetration typically and only leaves a caliber size wound track for the rest of the channel.

Personally, I want an exit. Where I hunt if the animal doesn't drop, you could be in for a very challenging tracking job with only a single, caliber size entry wound.

"What bullet is accepted as time tested for deer - so that it doesnt exit and waste energy-- and doesnt expand too fast like a varmint bullet...."

IMO - Doing both of these things consistently is impossible. Even the most fragile bullets will often exit the body of a whitetail deer and stout bullets can become completely unglued depending on what part of the animal they impact.

Virtually all bullets work on frail whitetails provided that shot placement is adequate.

Average deer, average range
(~175 lbs, 50-250 yards) a Nosler Partition or PSP Sierra or similar, 150 to 165grs, 2750fps m/l, is all that is needed.
If you want to be outside those parameters, the choices are different.

One man's opinion...
Depends on you part of the country. Down here in Texas most deer are well below the 175 body weight yall see up north. When I was doing number control for a west Texas ranch, we rarely saw doe weights over 100 lbs. Dont disagree with your bullet choice for your listed parameters though.

I don't subscribe to that theory.
I'm asking the people that subscribe to the theory that no pass through is better than pass the rough that "wastes energy".
Because all the potential and kinetic energy was not spent on the animal.

The beauty of a bullet that does not have to be effective to have a pass-through is you reduce the risk of shooting what is behind the intended target.

There was a video that was circulated here and all over the web that killed what was behind the intended target.

Last edited:
What bullet is accepted as time tested for deer - so that it doesnt exit and waste energy-- and doesnt expand too fast like a varmint bullet....
would the plastic tipped sierra game king be considered near the top ?
There was another sierra with a plastic tip (cant remember the model) but
it was believed to be opening up a bit too fast-- more a varmint bullet.
I would be shooting it either 308 or 30-06 handloads------
I have shot lots--- but new to hunting.
I have a box of 165 grain barnes tripple shock I bought and loaded for hog-- but never got to test out. Im thinking they open up too slow for deer--and deer are less tough than a hog. Would they likely pass through ?
Tim

I am very non-apologetic about being a huge advocate for mono bullets, but as you asked about .308 Win/30-06 velocities and the bullets use for deer…..I venture into a different direction!

I can only suggest an older type of bullet as I have no personal recent use with any cup and core bullet, as we've used "only" monos since the early '90's!

My recommendation would be the Hornady SP (interlock) in a 165 grain. My experiences with the Hornady SP's have shown them to be quite accurate and will hold together well, maintain a decent % of bullet weight, generally give the classic mushroom and penetrate quite well.

But……if pushed to higher velocities, close range impact seems to limit their penetration somewhat. However, unless it's one very large bodied deer…..that should still be a non-issue!

As an addend to my above comment: I have very little use for the energy theory and wish to have a pass-through on any animal I shoot and from any angle!

However when on used NA game….I may forgive a bullet if it failed to exit on an end to end shot on a large moose or buffalo (Bison)! A bit disappointed but forgiven! memtb

Last edited: