Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

bigdogone

A little background, my father in law debated me one time, 243 is the best deer cartridge. I said, naw, it's the 30-06. He said no way, the 243 kills them just as dead, sweetest shooting cartridge with no recoil, and very flat and fast.

Shortly after that, I 'd gotten on a lease and bought a 243 as a back up to my trusty 30-06 and for my father in law to use when I took him as my guest. Well guess what? I've come to believe he's right. I've shot deer with calibers up to 375H&H and pistol calibers 45 ACP and 41 magnum and nothing kills deer as quickly as that 243.

Since then I bought a small frame 243 Tikka T3 for my kids to use as their first deer rifle. That gun is a tack driver and kills deer dead right there. It's light, smooth action, relatively inexpensive, sized right for kids and comes with shims to grow with them. My buddy took his youngest of three sons out to hunt his first deer this weekend. Borrowed that 243. One shot, DRT! Loved the gun.

Just more proof in my mind that my father in law was right. The 243 is the best deer cartridge. I don't know what it is, speed? sweet-spot diameter of bullet? Just the right amount of energy? Love to hear others' thoughts and reactions, both pro and con!

My cousin in Texas agrees with you. He kills one or two every year. His average distance is near 80 yds and occasionally around 120. He shoots the 87gr Berger VLDH. We have a relative of your whitetail here in Az, the Coues. We average 200-600 yd shots on them. Very elusive.

You should never doubt the wisdom of the older folks!
Agree to disagree :). Can you imagine all the things those older folks would never have figured out if they never doubted the older folks when they were young? 😁

More difficult for me when it comes to rifle "wisdom", is that the older folks all seem to say different and often conflicting things…well besides ".30-06, 12 gauge, 22lr…. It's all you'll ever need". I think they're right about that one too, much as I hate to admit it.

Of the oldies but goodies: 25-06. Or, for added fun factor: 257 Weatherby.

*My context is recommendations of maximum point-blank range rifles where I'm not planning in dialing or doing long range hunting or target shooting. Just 25 yards to 400/500-ish yard shots with hold overs. 257 Weatherby was my first "long range" rifle. So simple and easy. No dialing, no massive scope. Zero at 300 yards and know your drops at 400 and 500 yards. Hold a few inches high or top of back....

And then,.. Squeezed it back down and ADDED, the 30* shoulder, to create,.. the PERFECT, Deer / Antelope, Cartridge,.. the 6.5 Creedmoor !
Yup,.. I succumbed to, One of, these Baby's ! And,.. My Man bun, is growing,.. longer !
Haha....good one Lefty.....so I have three of those things you mention. I just thought it was old age affecting little jimmy....heck I should have known it wasn't. Better sell them before Jimmy is an inny.