best whitetail deer bullet

I used a 6.5x284(using necked down WW 284 brass)back in the late '90s for antelope in Utah and exotics ( Blackbuck, Fallow deer) down in Texas. My rifle was a short action Mod 700 and I stayed with both the 120/125 Noslers loaded to 2.78". I shot both right at 3200 and they were super flat shooting, bucked the wind like crazy and killed like lightening! I have ever since recommended either in any 6.5 for deer. The new 123 SST should be poison also! Good luck to you pard.

I would shoot a 140 grain bond bullet. Slow down your muzzle velocity to 2800 to 2900 fps bullets will perform better at the shorter distance.
Nosler Partition or Accubond
Hornady Interlock

There is no need to use a bonded bullet for deer and the Hornady Interlock isn't a bonded bullet. Their Interbond is and is best used for bigger game like elk, moose, etc.

Topgun 30-06, you do not have to have a bonded to kill a deer. I am aware that I misprinted interlock for interbond. The only reason that I said a bonded bullet was " Some shots as close as 20 yds". Have a Hornady SST, Nosler BT or Berger blow up on you at a deer at 20 or 30 yrds and see how you feel. It is a very gruesome sight.

I love the thoughts of the Berger or SST. I'm just nervous if the shot presented to me is a close shot. Maybe they would work fine. I don't care if the bullet blows up as long as it drops the deer. Let's face it, we want know where the deer will show up. My question is what bullet would be best for an all arounder. Maybe if Nosler would put a Partition in the ballistic tip. She'd half the weight and the other half drive on thru for an exit.

The 130 gr Nosler Accubond is exactly what you are asking for. I am pushing it a might faster 3350 fps from my long barrel 264 Win mag but this bullet is the ticket. I have killed deer almost in my lap out to right at 500 yards and it reacts the same. Through and through both shoulders with a quarter size exit and DRT usually BANG FLOP. I have used the 120 Sierra and Ballistic tip at 3000 fps and 140 Hornady interlock and Sierra at 2800 fps from my 6.5X55 within your parameters and they also work great. No it does not take a bonded bullet to kill a deer but when the impact velocity is over 3000 fps and they show up right on top of you it is very comforting to know that your bonded bullet has a greater chance of getting into where things that make them keep on ticking are than standard cup and core bullets. :D

Topgun 30-06, you do not have to have a bonded to kill a deer. I am aware that I misprinted interlock for interbond. The only reason that Have a Hornady SST, Nosler BT or Berger blow up on you at a deer at 20 or 30 yrds and see how you feel.I said a bonded bullet was " Some shots as close as 20 yds". It is a very gruesome sight.

That's exactly why I don't use an SST after a year when one blew up and left a huge entrance hole on a mulie and another blew up on the near rib of a cow elk with very little penetration. Both animals were under 100 yards and the rest of those SSTs were shot at paper targets.

I shoot factory Hornady 130 gr superformace out of my 270 win. They leave the barrel at an average of 3190 fps. They have always gone through both shoulders from 60 to 350 yards and thats on Mule deer. They have performed excellent and will continue to use them till Hornady makes something better.

I shoot factory Hornady 130 gr superformace out of my 270 win. They leave the barrel at an average of 3190 fps. They have always gone through both shoulders from 60 to 350 yards and thats on Mule deer. They have performed excellent and will continue to use them till Hornady makes something better.

I'm really wondering if Hornady changed their SST formulation since all of the Cabelas reviews on the SST Superformance that are several years old gave it only 2 or 3 stars and very poor comments similar to what I mentioned earlier. Sometime in early 2014 all the reviews from then on have been mostly 5 star with excellent comments---Hmm!

Any thoughts on a 243 pushing a 115 Berger Hunting vld for whitetail? I've heard really good things about them. Regardless of bullet/caliber, shot placement is key of course.

Shot three deer with my 6.5 Grendel using Hornady 123gr SSTs. One Mulie buck 253yds quartering away. Bullet exited shoulder. WT Doe through both shoulders 100yds.WT Doe broad side lung shot 150yds. SST worked as advertised.