Looking for a good 400yd 270 whitetail deer bullet

clark270

I had never had a problem with 150gr Remington core locks but at 200yds they peter out with that round nose. Shot about 80 deer with them. I want something like a core lock that opens up and goes all the way through (one in one bigger out). Partitions? Do Bergers blow-up too much on shoulder shots and steep angles?

I've always had good luck with Nosler ballistic tips at that distance. Always a good exit and clean kill on a broadside shot. Bergers will prob not exit. Partitions are very accurate and will exit but are a little too hard for my liking especially at 400 yards. Hornady Amax is also another good one. If your looking to stay with a soft point Hornady BTSP interlock is a great one. Good luck

My wife and I have used 130 gr. Speer Grand Slams with good results, though probably not as accurate as some of the pointed nosed bullets.

I tried rem 140 gr. bonded and it didn't expand enough for me, poor blood trails. Shot two deer this year with them. Nosler Balistic tip might be it 140 or 150 grain.

My family has used hornady for as long as I can remember. And if I used factory ammo I would too. The interlock has fed me at ranges with in 450 yd. A couple years ago, my grandad stacked 3 up in a cut over, the closest was 353. But that's just my experience with them. My dad has been shooting some winchester silvertips and at close range I wasn't impressed at around 300 they ran maybe 20 yards. But I did use some federal fusions in my 270 wsm and really liked them.

For 270 factory ammo that is my .02

I had never had a problem with 150gr Remington core locks but at 200yds they peter out with that round nose. Shot about 80 deer with them. I want something like a core lock that opens up and goes all the way through (one in one bigger out). Partitions? Do Bergers blow-up too much on shoulder shots and steep angles?

the core lokts have been excellent for me as well, but much over 400 is there range of accuracy. i have great results with the 130g ballistic tips at all rangers.

good luck

+1 for Nosler BT. I use their 140gr yellow tips and let me tell ya, they'll put DRT pretty much every time if I do my part. Ive only had one run more than 20 yards and thats because he was within bow range and there wasn't enough time for the Nosler to do its part. Let me say that 15 of those yards were in a circle strait down the whole time. I love them for my 270. Now in my part of Arkansas we don't have too many way out there shots so my farthest on a deer is 327. However I doubt you would have any other kind of results from the Nosler line at 400 yards. Just for full disclosure.

The only deer I've shot at that distance was with a Ballistic Silvertip, and it was Very effective, and accurate. One shot double lung, he just stood there. Next shot was high shoulder, and it dropped in its tracks. Only reason i shot again was that i thought i had missed.

So if the OP like the Remingtons why not just change to the pointed soft point spitzer they offer for longer range shooting. It's the exact same ammo other than one has a round nose and the other is a spitzer!

If the Rem Core-Loks are the same as when I first started buying them the pointed soft points are 130gr and idk if hed want to drop that low from his original 150. 140 is not quite as much of a step down. 130 core locks are great, but only one of my 270s really liked them. 140s just seem to work best for mine but OPs mileage may vary.

I'm in California and we have to hunt lead-free. Regardless, I've had great success with Barnes 130gr TTSX over 58.0gr of RL-19, COA of 3.225". This load shoots as good as my Nosler handloads. They meter at 2846 fps from my Win model 670. Both of my deer this year were shot from over 400yds and went right to sleep. I zero at 200yds and they hold 1/2 moa. My drop at 400yds is 19.6".

Good luck.

dl

150 grain in Berger, BT, or Sierra SBT will flatten them and give good blood trails if they don't fall were they are standing