WhiteTail Bullet

The 165 SST holds together nicely and the BC ain't bad. Cousin put one through the neck of a buck at about 30yds at 2950fps. Small hole in, half dollar size out, the neck wash mush.

Tank

I personally believe that a bonded bullet will be more apt to pencil through a deer than a regular bullet. I'm a big fan of SGK and SST's. If you want 100% of the time to have a complete pass through then AB or Interbond or a all copper/gilded metal bullet is your best bet. If you want one that will fragment and dump more energy in the deer then a non bonded bullet may be better. As long as you hit them high in the shoulder then it won't matter. DRT.

+1 on anything Hornady at that range. I would stick with the SST although the 168AMAX will absolutely dump anything deer sized and somewhat bigger. I like Hornady bullets because they're very consistent, perform well, and best of all do not cost as much as others. (More bang for your buck)

Shot the 6.5 140AMAX for years on deer to about 850 with my 6.5x284 nothing required a second shot. Shoot the 154SST out of my 7 carry rifle and have taken game from groundhogs to whitetails to caribou to bear to red stag with them. They've performed phenomenally out to about 600 yards.

ok - I will deviate from the conventional wisdom that has been promulgated here.

Work up a max velocity load with the 208Amax and use it for EVERYTHING from groundhogs to elk size game.

I am with bigbrother and limbic,, the SST is without question accurate and a killer when it comes to Deer and any big game. I should have mentioned it also and sooner, I started using Hornaday bullets for a long time on small game, I have used it on Deer four seasons when I was watching a big field with my 7MAG and my .06....Great choice.
Its great on Hogs at long range.

Not to Hi-jack Ya'll that use the SST'S dont you get massive blow outs ?
& meat loss. shot a few hogs with the SST 180 & 165GR. and it made a heck of a mess. I do use SST'S in 270win. 130gr. thanks guys.gun)

That is a potential problem. Especially if yOu only shoot one deer per year. And if you have to hike in a day to kill em. The few deer I've killed were high shoulder shots and the other side wasn't so bad. One did have a pretty big hole bit it was a doe. I would rather loose a shoulder or most of one then have to track a deer in some of the thick stuff I hunt in.

Thank Limbic, We get 13 deer here in GA. Per season,and I hunt for a few familys that cant or dont have the means to get out an hunt. SO I try to keep meat loss low as possible,Its a good deed thing. For Me a front shoulder loss here an there is going to happen because I use the high shoulder shot a good bit.We call it the pop& flopgun)

Shot placement is key above everything else for me.
My choice of bullet depends on which rifle I'm shooting. For my .270Win; 130gn Ballistic Tips, 7mmRM; 162gn ELD-M, .300WinMag; 225gn ELD-M, .270Allen Magnum; 170gn Berger & 169.5gn Wildcats.
These are also the bullets I use during the off season for LR target shooting. I practice and fine tune my rifles and shooting skills year round. If you can't put a $1.00 bullet where it needs to be it's useless.

Recent Posts