best whitetail deer bullet

Look up a guy that does bullet tests and goes by the name "Simple minded fella" on YouTube. he does testing on a few different bullets and you would be shocked how poorly some perform. One bullet that performed perfectly in his testing was the Swift Scirocco 6.5mm 130 gr.. With the velocity your shooting at it would be a perfect choice

Deer aren't tanks. Green box Remingtons and Winchester PPs have been putting venison on the table for YEARS. The problem with reloading is we now have all kinds of choices to make. With these choices comes Corp marketing, more bullet choices, and more opinions. All the options you have read here and other places are all based on our experience. My best advice is to pick something and make some memories. Learn, rinse and repeat.

I think I'm gonna be a 💩 disturber soon and start a "worst deer bullet" thread. Might have some real strong opinions surface. Because this thread is pointless and there's only about 50 others just like it haha. Doesn't change the fact that I eagerly participated in it 😁, no worries. But honestly if you can keep it inside a 6 inch circle at the range your shooting at and it isn't an fmj, a mono or tough bonded going too slow, or a ridiculously weak cartridge the deer will probably go down pretty quick regardless (though adrenaline is powerful).

I think I'm gonna be a 💩 disturber soon and start a "worst deer bullet" thread. Might have some real strong opinions surface. Because this thread is pointless and there's only about 50 others just like it haha. Doesn't change the fact that I eagerly participated in it 😁, no worries. But honestly if you can keep it inside a 6 inch circle at the range your shooting at and it isn't an fmj, a mono or tough bonded going too slow, or a ridiculously weak cartridge the deer will probably go down pretty quick regardless (though adrenaline is powerful).
I vote for an FMJ

You forgot the most important element. The one that hits exactly where the crosshairs are put.

I was initially thinking the same thing, Though the placement of the crosshairs is very much implied "thru the vitals".

To be more specific, Though through the vitals can include more than the boiler room. When shooting a smaller caliber 6mm bullet I have come to like the Brachial plexus shot, which is a very effective CNS shot.

Boiler room is one of the better, or a great place for the cross hairs though not always the target offered. One of the reasons the boiler room is preferred is largely due to the size of the target. CNS is always a smaller target, yet very effective when properly employed.

I am suspecting shot placement is the biggest error New hunters make. Second most common error is choosing a less than bullet may be extraordinarily common as well. So shot placement & bullet construction probably trump caliber choice more often than not. Would be my take on the op's statement.

Last edited:
I was initially thinking the same thing, Though the placement of the crosshairs is very much implied "thru the vitals".

To be more specific, Though through the vitals can include more than the boiler room. When shooting a smaller caliber 6mm bullet I have come to like the Brachial plexus shot, which is a very effective CNS shot.

Boiler room is one of the better, or a great place for the cross hairs though not always the target offered. One of the reasons the boiler room is preferred is largely due to the size of the target. CNS is always a smaller target, yet very effective when properly employed.

I am suspecting shot placement is the biggest error New hunters make. Second most common error is choosing a less than bullet may be extraordinarily common as well. So shot placement & bullet construction probably trump caliber choice more often than not. Would be my take on the op's statement.
Yep if the crosshairs are anywhere but the vitals, it's shooter error. Pretty much just a common sense issue really as a hunter.

I got weaned on Nosler Partitions and they have never failed me. I shoot 100gr partitions in my .243win, 150gr partitions in my .270win and 165gr partitions in my 30-06 During this component shortage I tried out Nosler's 150gr Accubonds and found they performed good on deer also at 210 yards in my case. Not the ABLR's mind you, The just plain AB's. I found the ABLR's werent as accurate in my rifle.

Recent Posts