Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

I try to NEVER, ever, ****zz on, anybodies "Favorite Deer Cartridge", as there ARE,.. MANY,.. "Good One's" !
Thus, the Lengthy Discussion on Rifle Carts ( Everybody HAS, their Favorites )
I think a lot of Old guys are On Here, just for the Fun of, the conversation ( Rarely, do We get,.. anywhere ! LOL )
I started Reloading in the Late 1950's with my Dad supervising,.. Hornady Bullets were $10 to $12.00 Per Hundred, IIRC and Bruce Hogdons, H4895 Powder was, $50 Cents a Pound and after WW2, the .30-06, 03A3, Springfield and Win Mod 70's,.. were, Kings !
We just "Sucked Up" the Recoil of those .30 cal. 150 and 180 grainer's ( Recoil Pads were TERRIBLE, then ! ).
Have, a good evening !
New thread started so I do not de-rail this 42 page gem.
Only 11 MORE Posts to 600,.. Yippee !

Last edited:
I try to NEVER, ever, ****zz on, anybodies "Favorite Deer Cartridge", as there ARE,.. MANY,.. "Good One's" !
Thus, the Lengthy Discussion on Rifle Carts ( Everybody HAS, their Favorites )
I think a lot of Old guys are On Here, just for the Fun of, the conversation ( Rarely, do We get,.. anywhere ! LOL )
I started Reloading in the Late 1950's with my Dad supervising,.. Hornady Bullets were $12.00 Per Hundred, IIRC and Bruce Hogdons, H4895 Powder was, $50 Cents a Pound and after WW2, the .30-06, 03A3, Springfield and Win Mod 70's,.. were, Kings !
We just "Sucked Up" the Recoil of those .30 cal. 150 and 180 grainer's ( Recoil Pads were TERRIBLE, then ! ).
Have, a good evening !
Lol I'm Getting There….. I'm 55. I wish M70's & 700's were made like the NewHaven ones, & 70's in LH are hard to come by. Luv my A-Bolts, Savage 112's in LH, and my 🐝 🐝's Either an 06' or a 270 is hopefully getting a Long Pipe Brux or other this winter.

This is the biggest troll thread. Some dude pulled the pin, lobbed the grenade, and walked away 42 pages ago. Yet I get sucked in every time. I'm going to start a thread to discuss threads in tired of seeing.
Easy to hit the "Ignore thread" button on any thread and never see it again.

Within the next month I plan on ordering a Browning lever 243.
70 years later, still work great.
I have one of those and love it. It's a good deer or antelope round. They handle well and shoot well. Also have a Savage 99. But it's .308 so I won't mention it 🤫on a .243 thread. That is the extent of my lever guns .. right now.

I have one of those and love it. It's a good deer or antelope round. They handle well and shoot well. Also have a Savage 99. But it's .308 so I won't mention it 🤫on a .243 thread. That is the extent of my lever guns .. right now.

I've been fortunate enough to try 4 different 243 rifles, 2 bolt action, 2 levers.
Loved the Browning, except for the King Kong pull trigger.
Once I replace the trigger with the lightest pull one I can, cut the stock off a wee bit, it is going to be amazing. 🙂

I think the .270 Win. WAS, the "Creedmoor" of THAT era ( 1945 to 1960's ) due to, Flat Trajectory and LIGHT Recoil with, 130 grainers !
Plus, it was Promoted Heavily by, Jack O' Connor.
Me, I mostly shot an ole' converted, $17.50, NRA, Springfield 03A3, .30-06 with, 150 gr Hornady's and later, Partitions .
After, the .30-06 I went to, a German MK-V, Left Hand, .270 Weatherby Mag. and, I was IN,.. Tall Cotton !

To do my part, though insignificant and having nothing to do with the .243 Win., I'll chime in on the .270 Win.

Lefty, in your first sentence, you may have inadvertently explained my aversion to the "Creedmoor"!
I have aways attributed my disdain for the .270 Win. to Jack O'Conner….perhaps I've given him too much credit! To expound upon that comment…..I hate giving O'Conner credit for anything! memtb

Recent Posts