The .243 AI is a great Deer Cartridge

I've got no experience with the AI but my 243win and 95gr sst have killed plenty of fat KY deer roughly half were bang flops. I've been running a 15" barreled encore pistol slinging 80 speer hot-core's have yet for one to make it over 40 yards. If you center punch their lungs it's game over.

I load 87g Vmaxs and 85g Interbonds in my nephew's .243 with a 9.25 twist. In his rifle with the same seating depth(dont touch seating die) and the same powder charge, both bullets have the same POI out to 400 yards that we have tried. The Vmax works very well on groundhogs, crows, and coyotes and he has used the Interbond successfully on two Kentucky whitetails with complete penetration. He likes the additional velocity and less recoil.

Geez thanks for resurrecting this ancient thread! I'm thinking about building a 243 AI in the next couple of months. I like the idea of using it for coyotes and deer if I decide to. Looking forward to sending the 105's down range at 3250 FPS also :)

Geez thanks for resurrecting this ancient thread! I'm thinking about building a 243 AI in the next couple of months. I like the idea of using it for coyotes and deer if I decide to. Looking forward to sending the 105's down range at 3250 FPS also :)
Amazing cartridge!!
Good pico
V

I've used a few 6mms in the past. 6x47 , 6mm Bullberry, .243, 6mm Rem , 6x284 and .240W. I only killed game with the 6x47(85xbt) , 6x284(90NBT) and 240w(90X). I have a friend out here who uses his 240W with the Hornady 100 SPBT on everything including some big bull elk. They are wicked little killers but you do have to "aim small"! :) Have a ball dude!

With a 8twist and all this horse power go 115s, they really hit things hard ,noticeably better than 105s
Berger came out with their new 109 gr hybrid. Looks interesting.Should work better in the typical short box magazines. Maybe better than the 105VLD. Their nose length and base to ogive are different. I'm ordering a box to find out.

I was going to build a .243AI out of one of my .243WIN rifles but Reloder 26 will push the 105's to near 3,300 in my rifle. That powder is magic in some cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.