Best 243 bullet for deer?

Question: Regarding shot placement when using the 85g Sierra, Do you always choose the behind the shoulder shot or do CNS shots come into play as well?
Behind the shoulder .... top of heart - double lung....when on deer control late summer early fall I do not want to track a deer most drop in under 30 yards very high percentage drop at the shot....
I prefer behind the shoulder No. 1 just a larger higher percentage area....No. 2 less loss of meat because all is donated to people in need....No. 3 CNS there is a greater chance of sever wounding if your just a little bit off and I do not want to be tracking in mosquito and tick infested areas also deer will find a safer area to feed not helping me reach the quota.....

I use Hornady interlocks (also a Sask hunter) and when the Does weight upwards of 180 lbs and bucks average 250+lbs they don'r run very far with these pills. Deer are very tough animals but proper bullet placement and they are DEAD! Good Luck to your son and you! Keep us posted please.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone had a bullet suggestion for a 243. It's for my 12 year old son, will be on whitetail deer and because he is going on his first hunt this fall the distance will be under 200 yards. I know with a smaller cartridge like the 243 bullet choice is very important and would really like some advice. Thanks in advance!
Pretty much any bullet you pick will work great out of a 243. I load 60 grain sierras for my sons 6 creedmoor. Deer tend to nose dive when hit!

I like solid copper bullets. Often shots are less than ideal, and the solid bullets usually penetrate in a straight line to vital areas. This is assuming adequate stability for longer bullets. Quite a difference in deer hunting, like 125–150-pound deers at 75-150 yards & close to 300 pounders almost 1/4 mile distant. My .243 has a 8 twist barrel.

I use the Hornady 108 gr Amax out to 400 yds on whitetails. I use Hodgdon V-100. It will shoot a 2 inch group at 600 yds. It does an excellent job and they drop on the spot.

Deer are easy to kill. Nearly anything will work as this thread has pointed out. I've had good success using a 65gr Gameking or 55gr Hornady SP out of a .223 for example. Meat damage and creating two holes is what I worry about more at this point. Some bullets are more explosive than others and in my opinion some bullets won't create wide wounds in small calibers like 22 or 6mm bullets. (ie Barnes TSX)

I've switched to Lehigh Defense controlled chaos bullets and Hammer Hunters because I've found lead far from the entrance/exit in multiple deer and I hunt primarily to feed my family. Interlocks never gave me a problem. I like copper now as a personal choice.

- Joshua

Last edited: