Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

Sometimes I think being an old timer comes with being wiser. Then I realise the little, (wisdom) I have came mostly from mistakes. Some of them painful!🫣🤣
Doing something stupid that causes pain makes you stronger and smarter. Pain is just weakness leaving the body and you learn what not to do again. If you learn nothing, then it didn't hurt enough.

Last edited:
We killed some big Nebraska Corn-fed whitetail bucks with 95g Partitions, which seemed to be much more accurate than a 100g Partition with a hot load of IMR 4831 and a Rem 9 1/2 primer with a tad bit of jump to the lands. The 95g Partition penetrates extremely well, but does not leave much of a blood trail. The muzzle velocity in our load was around 3150 fps.

With my nephews, I bought them both a set of Peltor Tac 6 electronic ear muffs to use in the stand. They were amazed at how much more they could hear. The quickly learned the difference between a squirrel digging for acorns and a deer walking, same with Turkeys.
You could not imagine their amazement the first time they heard a buck snort wheeze, immature bucks practice fighting by rattling their horns together. I taught them to use a rattle bag and grunt call at an early age, which added a whole new dimension to their understanding of hunting.

Recent Posts