What is your best deer rifle

Same boring old rifle/cartridge I was using when this thread was originated in 2016! Though will be using a different bullet this year….if we go deer hunting. Wyoming lost a huge percentage of it's deer population! ☹️ memtb

I failed to mention….. I have enough components to carry me "into the afterlife"! 😁 Besides, I just happen to really like my deer…..antelope, elk, bear, moose, sheep, and maybe one day my Mountain Goat and Buffalo (Bison) rifle!

I'm a firm believer in the "KISS Principal" ……same rifle, load, zero, and bullet! It just doesn't get any "Simpler" than that! 😉 memtb

I recently purchased a 1982 version of a weatherby mark v deluxe chambered in 270 weatherby mag topped with 3x9x40 vx2. She was a safe queen with little use. I have a variety of rifles to choose from just cannot wait to check this one out.View attachment 474682
My uncle had one like that, it split my dad's eyebrow wide open 😁

That very sad too. I have seen this before, and it will happen again. A great number of years ago Colo had a problem there. If I recall they had figure out on how to feed the deer. I think it was pellets not hay or on that line. it will take some years to rebiuild the herds there. Me being with a lot of points there in Wy. I am beginning to think it isn't worst it. Being 75yrs old I am getting toward the end of my life. The point cost is very high in Wy. I have 13 deer and Elk points 8 Antelope point.
I just about not filling for any more and let the other drop. In Az they have made it really harder now. I stop there a few years back. loosing about 14 point in deer and antelope and elk.
If you are a young man it's a different story. I would go ahead and apply for points. At my age it's getting to be a point of no return.
It's really dishearting.
+I have 11 deer points in Wy and this year I decided to gather up 5 friends and share the points in an area that has produced medium sized bucks (7) in the past. 6 of those bucks were 4x4 or larger. But now the biologist in that area changed the season and we can no longer hunt the last week of October when we took all those bucks. AS i approach my last years of hunting, I didn't want to waste all the money spent on points.

Hope he was shooting at something for the dinner table, it's a fast bullet at 3400 fps
Nope he was shooting at a target😂
My dad never really hunted, so when my uncle talked him into pulling the trigger after poking at him a while he got down behind the rifle to show big brother what's what, only to find out he had been setup

Same boring old rifle/cartridge I was using when this thread was originated in 2016! Though will be using a different bullet this year….if we go deer hunting. Wyoming lost a huge percentage of it's deer population! ☹️ memtb
Not one thing wrong with that. You are confident and comfortable with that rifle and round, that makes a deadly combination

That very sad too. I have seen this before, and it will happen again. A great number of years ago Colo had a problem there. If I recall they had figure out on how to feed the deer. I think it was pellets not hay or on that line. it will take some years to rebiuild the herds there. Me being with a lot of points there in Wy. I am beginning to think it isn't worst it. Being 75yrs old I am getting toward the end of my life. The point cost is very high in Wy. I have 13 deer and Elk points 8 Antelope point.
I just about not filling for any more and let the other drop. In Az they have made it really harder now. I stop there a few years back. loosing about 14 point in deer and antelope and elk.
If you are a young man it's a different story. I would go ahead and apply for points. At my age it's getting to be a point of no return.
It's really dishearting.
I hear ya brother. I still have the will and drive of a 20 year old. I just have to wait for the rest of me to catch up all the time now. Really starting to suck

I failed to mention….. I have enough components to carry me "into the afterlife"! 😁 Besides, I just happen to really like my deer…..antelope, elk, bear, moose, sheep, and maybe one day my Mountain Goat and Buffalo (Bison) rifle!

I'm a firm believer in the "KISS Principal" ……same rifle, load, zero, and bullet! It just doesn't get any "Simpler" than that! 😉 memtb
I like boring! Never fails! As a former Scoutmaster, I had the foresight to stock up on major components two administrations ago. I have enough to entertain my kids, teach my granddaughter when she is able to hold a rifle, and hunt anything on the planet for well after I am in the afterlife.
I can load for any center fire firearm I own. "Be Prepared" is the moto

My best deer rifle is a no frills Remington 700 SPS chambered in 30-06 that I got for my 16th birthday. I gave it a minor face lift but the soul of the rifle is the same. It has taken countless deer in the woods of NY. My dad used it on our first and likely last, father/son trip last year; it now has an antelope and mule deer to its credit. It's a rifle I'll never get rid of.

Recent Posts