My top 3

Savage MLII smokeless topped with Nikon 4-16x50SF

Remington LTR 308 with H&S topped with Nikon 2.5-10x42

and my new toy...
Remington Sendero II 7mm Mag topped with Nikon 8-32x50SF

003-12.jpg

Just shot it today and it shows promise with 168 VLD's

We all have our choices here, I love mt .35 MARLIN..and I also love my .3006s
But I used my 7MM Magnum once on a 400 yard shot and thank the good lord I was aiming
for a lung shot. it nearly gutted it..it looked like a soft ball went out the other side.
please add your choice of calibres and any opinions.

Well, I have to say a .308 since I shot one for over 50 years. Always used open sights in the North country and could make 300 yard shots on coyotes, and woodchucks. That rifle got stolen when i came to TX, so I got a 270 w/scope, As i got older the 270 got heavier and it is a beautiful custom rifle made by a gunsmith in Houston in 1977. So I save it for deer stands and the range. I wanted a lighter rifle to carry, but with muscle yet; I decided to try the model 10 Savage accu trigger 308, and prefer it over my .3006 and 270. :)
My favorite rifle by all means is the .308. The scope could be better, but its good enough until I save some money, and hide it from my wife, hee hee hee
She says , I don't need anymore guns or scopes! Maybe she'll come around and buy me a new rifle this year. Ya think?:rolleyes:

I started out with a winchester 94 I bought new in 1967 or 68 and killed alot of deer with it, then I bought a remmington A1 03 that had been sporterized and added a bushnell 3x9 with bdc and killed alot more deer with it at alot longer ranges up to 350yds, Then I started hunting on the kids farm a shotgun zone only and used my winchester ranger 120 with a smooth barrell and killed more deer but its just not the same as with a high power rifle, But for this year I bought a new mossberg 500 with the rifled barrell and a nikon 3x9 slughunter scope and am very pleased with the accuracy of it on paper 1 inch at 100yds. So its that time of the year to again knock some deer down and am anxious to see how well this one does.

My favorite is my 7mm rem mag that I built off a savage action with a 28 inch mcgowen barrel and choate stock topped with a vortex scope. I made my first long range kill with it this year at 545 yards.

Attachments

• 545 yards 2011.jpg
    545 yards 2011.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 119
Jrw,
wow nice rifle and how many points was that critter?

I am not familiar with that scope, but you must have a parax adjustment, you used for that shot. Just curious what power you had that scope set on, and your rifle, Zero. One hell"av a shot though.gun)

You might laugh but that scope is the cheap 1" tube vortex crossfire 6x-24x that is on clearance right now with some of our sponsors of this site. It has been a great scope for me. My son actually ranged it for me with the mil-dot reticle he is accurate with it out to 800 yards. He is way better with it than I am it must be the young eyes. I shot the buck on 14x. This scope has a bunch of bad reviews on the net but it has been good to me. I figured for $100.00 and vortex's awesome warranty how could I go wrong. The buck is an average 3x4 with eye guards. You would have thought we had won the super bowl the way we celebrated after that shot. Since that was the first critter we ranged and dialed for. I guess all the work and practice payed off.

Jason

You might laugh but that scope is the cheap 1" tube vortex crossfire 6x-24x that is on clearance right now with some of our sponsors of this site. It has been a great scope for me. My son actually ranged it for me with the mil-dot reticle he is accurate with it out to 800 yards. He is way better with it than I am it must be the young eyes. I shot the buck on 14x. This scope has a bunch of bad reviews on the net but it has been good to me. I figured for $100.00 and vortex's awesome warranty how could I go wrong. The buck is an average 3x4 with eye guards. You would have thought we had won the super bowl the way we celebrated after that shot. Since that was the first critter we ranged and dialed for. I guess all the work and practice payed off.

Jason

Wow, that sounds like its in my price range, now. LOL
It seems to be working for you, I'm fixin to check one out for my 308.
Bob

A mod 70 Classic Stainless in 30/06. 180gr Hornadys or Combined Tech over a stiff charge of RL22. If times get tough I could live with her as my only rifle. I just hope times don't get that tough :rolleyes::).
IM002039.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.