? what is your Deer Rifle?

Whats not to love??

Win #70 in 30-06, classic ! gun)

This is my long rage rifle, a 270, custom stock & Douglas barrel

DSC03113.JPG

Hunterbob,
Where did you get that "Custom Stock" on your 270?
I have a Ruger M77 MK2 and that stock would look just right on it.
Thanks
IS

Hunterbob,
Where did you get that "Custom Stock" on your 270?
I have a Ruger M77 MK2 and that stock would look just right on it.
Thanks
IS

Irish,
The rifle was made around a 700 action, by a master gun smith in 1978.
His name was Barnet and he has passed on now, this was in Pasadena TX.
He made the stock and there is zero headspace, prints a clover at 200 yds, with a hot or cold barrel. It's just an awsume rifle to me.
I have been working stocks (refinishing) my whole life and never saw one like this one. The workmanship is exquizit with 2 kinds of wood and inlaid the way it is.

I have 2 special purpose deer rifles, and then the old favorite

For deer drives I use a Remington 760 30-06 with a 3x9 Leupold VXII, limbsaver pad, and timney 2lb trigger kit. I use 150gr accubonds at 2900fps.

For mountain hunting I use a Browning A-bolt with 4.5x14 Leupold with the varmint hunter crosshair and CDS turret. It also has a 2lb trigger kit and Bell & Carlson aluminum bedded stock. I use 140gr accubonds at 3033fps. I've taken deer out to 403yds with it.

My deer rifle that I use most of the time is a custom 264WM. It has a M70 classic action, 2lb trigger, custom thumbhole stock, 25" McGowan barrel, and limbsaver pad. It has a Leupold 4.5x14 VH reticle scope on it now that I know how to use out to 600yds, but I have a new VX-R 4-12 CDS on order for it. I use it stand hunting or anywhere else I don't feel a long 10lb rifle is a disadvantage. I have killed deer out past 500yds with it. I use 140gr accubonds at 3000fps. It has taken a 198" gross whitetail and several others over 150", plus a 200" muley. I have lots of confidence when I grab "maggie".

I have 2 special purpose deer rifles, and then the old favorite

For deer drives I use a Remington 760 30-06 with a 3x9 Leupold VXII, limbsaver pad, and timney 2lb trigger kit. I use 150gr accubonds at 2900fps.

For mountain hunting I use a Browning A-bolt with 4.5x14 Leupold with the varmint hunter crosshair and CDS turret. It also has a 2lb trigger kit and Bell & Carlson aluminum bedded stock. I use 140gr accubonds at 3033fps. I've taken deer out to 403yds with it.

My deer rifle that I use most of the time is a custom 264WM. It has a M70 classic action, 2lb trigger, custom thumbhole stock, 25" McGowan barrel, and limbsaver pad. It has a Leupold 4.5x14 VH reticle scope on it now that I know how to use out to 600yds, but I have a new VX-R 4-12 CDS on order for it. I use it stand hunting or anywhere else I don't feel a long 10lb rifle is a disadvantage. I have killed deer out past 500yds with it. I use 140gr accubonds at 3000fps. It has taken a 198" gross whitetail and several others over 150", plus a 200" muley. I have lots of confidence when I grab "maggie".

Nice rifles, and you named them too, LOL kool. I named mine too, but I'm old now and keep forgetting their names. Except one and thats my home defender model 1300 , named it "Joanne" after my X wife. LOL I'll never forget that one.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.