? what is your Deer Rifle?

kc

We all have our choices here, I love mt .35 MARLIN..and I also love my .3006s
But I used my 7MM Magnum once on a 400 yard shot and thank the good lord I was aiming
for a lung shot. it nearly gutted it..it looked like a soft ball went out the other side.
please add your choice of calibres and any opinions.

I also have a 7mm rem mag which is my main choice for open fields or longer shots can occur. I also have a 243. win where shots are within 300 yards and a 30-30 win for heavy bush and closer shots within 150 yards.

M70 Winchester in 264 Win. Mag. with 140gr's is my favorite.
M700 Remington in 3006 with 168gr is my "go to"
M77 Lightweight in 257 Roberts is my "long hike" gun.

I've used quite a number of different rifles for deer hunting:

204 Ruger
222 Remington
22-250 Remington
25/06 Remington
270 Winchester
7mm Remington Magnum
308 Winchester
300 Winchester Magnum
300 Weatherby Magnum

They all work just fine but my favorites are probably the 270 Winchester and 300 Win. Mag.

If i know that i'll be stalking in the Scottish Highlands where shots can be long, the wind is always problematic and if culling hinds it's essential to drop 2,3 or 4 hinds before the herd gets out of range - then it has to be my Steyr SSG69 P2 in calibre 308win. It has a dedicated kahles scope which is calibrated to 168gr bullets at 2600 so dialing in distance is so much easier.

For woodland stalking where the forests are usually commercial, shots rarely exceed 200yds then i'll usually opt for my Tikka M65 in 25-06 with moderator and Swarovski Habicht 3-10x40 scope.

I have other rifles but those are my 'reach to first' rifles.

I currently have a 6.5 creedmore being built on a Sako75 stainless action and Pacnor match grade barrel. This will have a synthetic stock (thumbhole style) with moderator and Zeiss Conquest 3-11x44 MC scope. I intend this to be used almost exclusively for stalking Sika deer.

Lately its been a T/C Omega .50 cal. ml,. if I travel north or west and use a centerfire its my Sav. mod 11,, 300wsm, and this coming fall I will be carrying an M.O.A. pistol in 6.5 x 47 lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.