What barrel for a deer rifle?

Jay Byrd

I have a medium length mauser action ready for a barrel. I have been using Lothar Walther and they guarantee 1/2 inch at 100 yards, but I was hoping for a good sporter 24 inch barrel which is more budget friendly to deer hunt with. Any suggestions or just bite the bullet and get another Lothar Walther in 7mm08 at $426.25 + shipping.?

Recently finished a 7-08 ai with a mcgowen barrel. First mcgowen barrel to use but so far it seems to be good shooting around .75" with my first fireform loads i tried.

Is that $426 already chambered? You said "get another Lothar Walther in 7mm08 at $426.25 + shipping".
If that is chambered, I doubt you will find anything cheaper. Maybe ER Shaw?
Most good blanks are $325-750 retail.

I just gave Preferred barrels a try for the first time and it was everything I needed for a PRS build. $265 base price. It is shooting the 131 Blackjacks at 1" at 200 meters. I was impressed that it had no visible copper build-up during break-in. I fired two, 2-shot groups and found no copper when cleaning, so I shot a 10-round ladder and still no copper. Dialed it in at a mild 2800 fps using RL26.
Every bit as accurate as the Bartlein I pulled off. I currently have barrels from Bartlein, Hart, Douglas, Proof, Green Mountain that I fitted to a mini-14 (and now Preferred); they honestly all maintain great accuracy but Preferred stepped up and sent me a great shooter very quickly so I thought I would give credit where due.

I used a LW, Savage pre-fit, 6.5-284Norma in the past and it was a very slick barrel. Not much fouling at all and it was at least 1/2 MOA with everything I shot in it.
I purchased a Shilen Savage pre-fit from Northland Shooters Supply and it is great! Makes me feel like a pro! James Kessler is a great guy to deal with also.
Last, but not least, I got a Pac-Nor (yes, Savage pre-fit) right before their big fire in Oct 2019. 28", 8T stainless super match in .300WinMag and it stacks the 215gn Bergers, 212gn & 225gn Hornady's on top of each other. Super nice, accurate barrel. After installing, I ran a unithroater (Ryan Mantha) reamer in it and increased the throat and OAL for the 212gn Berger runs 3.7"+. Simply phenomenal shooter. The 212/215's run 3050-3070fps and the one load I tried with the 225's was 2965fps. This is with RL26.

Theres alot of good barrels out there, I would be just as much concerned about whos smithing it as the brand of barrel.

Theres alot of good barrels out there, I would be just as much concerned about whos smithing it as the brand of barrel.
Yes, I had a great guy, he specialized in mausers and lived pretty close. Low-Tec Gunsmithing. He may be retired now. The barrel is backordered 2 months so I will be looking in the mean time. I was thinking about Parkerizing, it is tough and non-reflective. Have to plug the bore and chamber. Stock is a Boyd's laminated. Green, brown, grey black. I will float the barrel and bed the action. One I bedded I added aluminum filings to the epoxy mix, made it beautiful too, like metal-flake.

I just gave Preferred barrels a try for the first time and it was everything I needed for a PRS build. $265 base price. It is shooting the 131 Blackjacks at 1" at 200 meters. I was impressed that it had no visible copper build-up during break-in. I fired two, 2-shot groups and found no copper when cleaning, so I shot a 10-round ladder and still no copper. Dialed it in at a mild 2800 fps using RL26.
Every bit as accurate as the Bartlein I pulled off. I currently have barrels from Bartlein, Hart, Douglas, Proof, Green Mountain that I fitted to a mini-14 (and now Preferred); they honestly all maintain great accuracy but Preferred stepped up and sent me a great shooter very quickly so I thought I would give credit where due.
I have 2 PBB barrels. Both are shooters, 250ai and 284 Winchester and they shoot awesome. The 5r rifling cleans easy too. Only complaint is the smallest profile is a bit thick for hunting.

I used to, Custom Build, Mauser 98's in, the 1970's, 80's to, mid 90's ( did Bluing, Custom Glass Bedded, Finished & fitted stocks, Installed Barrels, Pads, etc. ) I used to buy Douglas, Premium Bbl's from, Brownell's and Hand Chamber them ( Hand ream, as they were, "short Chambered" & set, Headspace ) cut / Crown, etc. They ALWAYS shot, Sub 1 MOA in, .25-06, .270 Win, .280 Rem and .30-06 ( Test shot, W/ Fact. Rem. Corelokt's ) before, I sent them out, the Door.
You might check with, Brownell's to see if they are still available, IF you have access to, a Reamer, Lathe and other Tools Nec. OR, check to see, how reasonable $$$ wise, a Gunsmith would charge to Install one. Douglas Barrels were ALWAYS, a Reasonably Priced,.. "shooter" barrel and heard that, they still, ARE !

Last edited:
Midway has the Shilen, match grade, 7mm08 Pre-threaded short-chambered (PTSC), Barrel Contour:#3, crowned and polished for $265.40. Looks like a good deal.
Looks like, they are STILL making "Short Chambered" Barrels, by Shilen !
Another GOOD Barrel at, a reasonable price !

Looks like, they are STILL making "Short Chambered" Barrels, by Shilen !
Another GOOD Barrel at, a reasonable price !
Yes, I went with a Shilen, 7mm08. Midway had them on sale so tax and shipping was under $300. Now I have to get in line at the gunsmith. He has a considerable backlog. They are 26 inches so will have him to cut and crown to 24 inches. I have a 26 inch 270 Winchester and the free-bore is a little long so I can get almost magnum speed if I wish.

Recent Posts