? what is your Deer Rifle?

It's a great question since most folks like to talk about their favorite guns.

My favorite is the first new rifle I ever owned, a Sako L61R in .270 win.

Though I still want to use my grandpa's old gun he gave me before he passed on. It is a .303 Savage, and is plenty of gun for most of the shots I get in the TX Hill Country.

Guys - come on now - the question is your Deer Rifle - and there isn't a photo posted here yet????

Good grief - we need to fix that! Okay - I've hunted deer with a number of different rifles over the years, also with bow, shotgun, muzzle loader, and handgun... In recent years though my favorite is this .25-06 700 CDL with a 6x Leupold. I've taken mule deer as close as 30 yards and as far as 400 yards with it. I've got more powerful rifles, more accurate rifles, more expensive rifles, but this is what I think of when I want my deer rifle:
1e1841e8.jpg

I'm often afield with that rifle for rockchucks in the spring, coyotes any time of year and mule deer in the fall. Usually with the same load for everything, a 115 gr Berger VLD at 3200 fps, sighted dead-on at 300 yards. It's light recoiling, easy to handle, decently accurate and lethal as all get out.

Let's see some photos of these great deer rifles you guys have!

Regards, Guy

My favorite deer rifle is an OLD Savage bolt action 250-3000 that's been in the family longer than anyone can remember, it was my first hunting rifle and I killed a lot of deer and a few elk with it then it got a new barrel but chambered in a 250-3000AI and it is just unreal, deer die at the sight of it!! Such a sweet chambering but since we started using R17 it really is quite the little stud, dad's been tinkering with it a little lately and 115 Bergers are running 3100 ish even in that springy action. He dumped a nice cow elk again with it this year, it's like the little rifle that could :D I want to make one for my daughter for her first deer gun but in a modern action that I can stoke up a little more gun)

243 Catbird......depending upon bullet & load 3850 to 4205 and has served me well on many whitetail and muley hunts. I take mostly neck shots and almost always find 'em in their tracks.

I like my 264 win mag in rem 700 cdl stainless fluted, but my good luck gun to get the big ones is my winchester model 70 classic sporter in 25/06, love it. Shot a 82 4/8 inch goat with it and a 170 inch muley and a 170 inch whitetail with it, the goat and the whitey both in 2010. had a good season!

Last edited:
Kimber 8400 in 270WSM with Burris 4.5-14x42 BP FFII.

A very nice combo and my 2nd 270WSM. I've been shooting it for 6 years. Many many deer and antelope!

I had a Winchester 270WSM Featherweight before that and shot 14 Deer with it in 2 years. I had the Winchester FTW in 300WSM before that and took my largest muley buck at a little over 400yards with it-I still have this one and is my 3rd in line Deer rifle. Before that was mainly a Winchester 770 in 243 that I shot for many years and still do on occasion. It was my first centerfire rifle at age 13 and I learned reloading with it.
gun)

favorite for just a pack around not long range shooter would be a .243 shooting 87gr. vmaxes. Anything past 400 I believe the .243 would do it but I just use either my 6.5x284's or 7stw mostly for favorite wise. 300 rums and edge work good too though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.