What brass do you use.

LRSHOOTER56

I use nosler brass for my 300 ultra but it is hard to find locally where while rem brass is everywhere, how does it hold up ? i get 6 reloads out of the nosler.:rolleyes:

Federal brass works great, Remington will as well. When you get them, weight sort the cases, and due to the rebated rim deal you may want to look into learning how to tighten primer pockets.

I have used Nosler brass in my 300 Rum and it is very consistent and produces great accuracy without prep work. However, I have discovered that it is quite soft compared to Remington. I just bought a new batch of Remington brass. It requires sizing, triming, primer hole tapering and neck turning but still produces great accuracy after the extra steps.

I use nosler brass for my 300 ultra but it is hard to find locally where while rem brass is everywhere, how does it hold up ? i get 6 reloads out of the nosler.:rolleyes:
Rem is just fine. It's almost cheaper lately to get the lower vel. stuff and either shoot to fire-form and practice or pull the bullets and use 'em in an '06. I'd pay a $1.20 for the brass or $1.50 for the light loaded stuff. Lucky I have a couple hundred rems on hand already.

Rem and Win I weigh them all then pick the biggest group +- 1 gn then throw the rest away. Or just buy the Nosler and use them all.
trim 'em before you start tossing brass. I just weighed a bunch of 7rem range pickups in win brass and all but 1 of 51 were +- 2 grains, which aint diddly for a bigger case. An ultra could go a bit higher yet on variation and not be noticed.

i have 2 rifles chambered in 338/300 ultra. i started with rem brass but came across 100 pieces of RWS 404 jeffries brass, which i now use. i don't think i'll ever build another rifle that i can't use Lapua or RWS brass. it is that good.

why do you have to mess with the primer pockets on new rem brass? can you just trim and size them. thanks for any info.

Federal, Winchester, & Nosler. I've had good luck with all 3.
Nosler is less initial prep work, & pretty good brass, but I don't know if it's $45 for 25 pieces good for seconds. Then again, I can't afford to go buy & burn up Fed factory ammo for brass either, & Win brass is hit or miss, depending on which bag you happen to get.

Only brass ill never go near again is Hornady. Absolutely horrible! & unreal soft. 3 fireing INCLUDING THE FACTORY LOAD & it was garbage in my old 300 Wby. Rem brass went twice that & more in that particular cartrige, load, & rifle set up.

I'm on my 12th reloading of Lapua 6.5x284 brass. I've had no case failures and the primer pockets are still tight. If you can get it in your caliber, Lapua is worth every penny.

I have used Winchester, Remington, Hornady and Lapua brass. All work fine for the different calibers I load but, the Lapua seems to be the most consistent with regard to quality. Almost no culls due to production issues. Hornady brass is not bad either.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.