What priming tool do you use?

I use the Lee hand priming tool and have never had a issue. Cost me $30. Does everything I need it to. I load single digit SD ammo on about every load I have for my rifles. My hands are getting arthritis in my thumb joints so I struggle some times and this is the only complaint I have, but that's not a fault of the product.

I have the older 21st Century tool that used the Lee feed system. When I saw Lee was changing, and 21st Century was dropping that model I bought spare Lee parts to keep going for decades because I like it THAT much. Click adjustable per thousandth of depth? Check. Hold 120+ primers? Check!

I currently use a rcbs hand priming tool. Before I used the rcbs I did it on the press and hated my life.

Curious what everyone is using to prime their brass? When I started reloading 8-9 years ago I bought the universal rcbs priming tool. It's time for an upgrade.

Sinclair and 21st Century look nice. Not sure how I feel about single loading and touching every primer.
We have used several priming tools and finally got the CPS from Primal Rights. There is a cost associated, but you get what you pay for. The CPS let's you put the primer exactly where you want it in the case EVERT time. I don't need to fill this post up with information, just go to the web. Also plenty of UTubes out there.
Highly recommend!
Click the link

I have several priming tools. The one thing I don't do is touch the primers with my hands. So I like priming tools that has tray to allow me to turn the primer over for correct direction by some type of tool. With that I only had a few miss fires over almost 60 yrs. Presently use a hand held RCBS priming tool. I like the tray that I can set up and don't have to touch the primers. It's a personal rule that I go by, not touching the primers with my fingers. I looked into the Competition Primer Seater, Very Impressive! It's a lot like the RCBS automatic primer tool, which I have one.

Last edited:
I used my dads old RCBS till it broke, bought the Lyman last week (absolute garbage) and bought a new RCBS yesterday and love it.

Really like the 21st Century tool.
Works really well. Click adjust for depth &
Bottom out the handle to the body &
depth is repeatable.
Use a rcbs tray to orient all primers,
Then load the primer with flat tweezers.

RCBS automatic primer tool. Tried those that you squeeze but after a while my hand gives out. The RCBS automatic primer tool is simple, consistent and uses standard shell holders.

I have used several during the past many decades. The worst is the one that came with the RCBS Chucker, never liked press-mounted priming. Lost many primers so I decided on the RCBS Universal, which uses shell holders. Liked it better but still had an issue with the spring-loaded punches catching on the shell holder hole. One most I use the Frankfort Arsenal hand primer but still use the RCBS universal to fully seat those recalcitrant primers fully, mainly 338 LM brass from Lapua. I do wish that RCBS would slightly chamfer the inside of the shell holders.

RCBS universal. But after 35 years of ems and a couple dislocated fingers from Meth heads. I might have to switch. I'll sit and do 500+ cases at a time and by the time I'm done I know it. Maybe the CPS is in my future especially if it's as fast as claimed.

Lee Auto Prime Hand Primers. I wore out two old style from the 90's just last year. I would estimate they loaded multiple 10's of thousands of primers from 380 auto to 458WM. I don't swap parts just use the small or large primer version. The round thumb cam part (cheap pop metal) wore down working against the hard primer seating rod and would leave them proud a few K. Lee could not replace them or the parts, and would not if I started messing with them to "fix" it. No I was not on this forum then or I would have snagged some used ones. Lee offered a decent credit for the new version under their lifetime warranty. I had to mail them in to get credit on the new ones (great conversation "sorry its a lawyer thing they made us do". The new ones are working fine just the safety crap causes little glitches the old version never had.