What scale do you use?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by odoylerules, May 12, 2018.

1. odoylerules

odoylerules Well-Known Member

I’ve got the reloading scale blues! I have been through a gem pro 250. I upgraded to the gempro 300, now it’s crappin out on me after only a year of use. I’ve researched tons about proper electronic scale use, I take every precaution you can think of.
    Is there a very high quality electronic scale out there that isn’t ridiculously priced for reloading you can recommend? I really want something accurate to .02 grains so I don’t think a beam scale would cut it. Thanks

2. Walker2713

Walker2713 Member

For another purpose I happened to take this photo yesterday of my setup. I use a Chargemaster Lite to throw close to the target load, then a Omega 2 trickler into a RCBS 505 beam scale. I've got a small very inexpensive usb camera hooked up to an old hp laptop so I've got a close up, accurate view of when I'm at the right point I'm aiming for. It's really helped to bring down my SD's. IMG_0890.jpg

Deputy819, Hand Skills and Barrelnut like this.
  3. g0rd0

g0rd0 Well-Known Member

I have tried 3 different digital scales, they worked fine, all 3. But, with the warm up, then cal, then the temp has to be stable with no breeze, yada yada. I went back to my beam. Old school yes accurate, you bet. Easy to use yup. Relyable and most important accurate

Dosh and cape cove like this.
  4. ksfarmer

ksfarmer Member

I use a beam no warm up but consistent.

5. N2TRKYS

N2TRKYS Well-Known Member

I tried to use a beam scale, but it's to inconsistent for me to keep using it.

I get more consistent results from my Chargemaster and GemPro250.

Barrelnut likes this.
  6. ksfarmer

ksfarmer Member

505 dribble mt throws.

7. Lpart

Lpart Well-Known Member

A&D FX-120i with the auto trickler from Cambridge Enviro. This scale uses an entirely different mechanism. Instead of load cells that we find on other scales this one uses an electromagnetic set up. Very quick and consistent and no more wandering of the reading. More expensive, but can be had for around $500 which is not that much more than the Chargemasters etc. Tried that route and they drove me nuts with the wandering readings and inconsistencies. I am not a high volume loader and measure each and every charge and trickle up my desired load. This setup is perfect for that kind of reloader.

jimbires likes this.
  8. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

Throw to within .3 grains on my Hornady Autocharge. Transfer to my RCBS 5-0-5, and trickle up to the individual kernel.

My GemPro250 crapped out after 6 months. Got a new one, and just use it to verify the 505 now.

9. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

Used a RCBS 5-0-5 for about 39 years and it is still an accurate scale but changed over to a RCBS 10-10 that I picked up at a yard sale cheap because I needed something that would weight over 500 grs to weigh my cast bullets for black powder cartridge shooting in my Sharps 45-70. Depending on the mould and mix bullets go 510 to 525 grs. I made me a wooden box frame with a top to sit my scale on that rises it up to eye level while sitting at my bench so I can read the scale good.

10. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

still using the same three PACT scales that I've had for well over ten years, and probably closer to fifteen years
    glt

11. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

another vote for the A&D FX120i .

I've read all the stories about the other digital scales , I don't have the patience for messing around with a scale .

12. odoylerules

odoylerules Well-Known Member

I just ordered a A&D FX-120i.

13. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

I still throw on a CM, but trickle on the FX-120i which is plugged to a line conditioner. Getting .02 gr accuracy is no longer a problem.

14. cape cove

cape cove Well-Known Member

All that and easy on battries.