Tikka vs Remington for next build?

I'm wanting to build a "light weight" 30 caliber magnum hunting rifle. What I mean by light weight is I'm planning on using a proof research barrel and a Manners EH4 stock. It may not end up being light weight after it's all finished but that's okay, it will be lighter than my other rifles and that's what I'm going for. I am torn between a 300 wsm with a custom long throat or a standard 300 win mag. My thought was I could loose a couple ounces with a shirt action, but after measuring COAL with bullets I'd be shooting in the wsm case it is obvious that a Remington short action will not work, even with a Wyatt's extended box mag. So that leaves me thinking a Tikka action, it would fit a COAL if 3.3 which is perfect for a long throat 300 wsm. However if it doesn't weigh less than a Remington long action then I might as well go with the long action and the 300 win mag. Do any of you guys know how much a tikka action weighs? I've never actually owned one. Also what else should be considered when building off a Tikka vs a Remington?
I would go with a bighorn sa for the 300 wsm or a bighorn La for the 300 win mag proof shoulder fit for the 300 win mag and to save a lot of wait time a AG carbon fiber stock

It wouldn't even be a question for me, Tikka WSM or MAX, your starting with a higher quality part, the Rem in a 300 Win will need an extended box too with those bullets. I've been through the WSM's on many platforms and they really are not for a short action when we are talking long range precision shooting, I've cut Rems open and even worked over customs for longer coal and they just don't come out as smooth and functional as just dropping it into a Tikka, by a Tikka in a 7 Mag, screw the barrel of screw on a quality custom throated for long range bullets in on of the short mag offerings and you have something easy that fits, feeds and no compromise!!!

How are the tikka mags too short? What coal are you running? I'm only running 3.108" with 200hybrids and 215s

My rifle is a factory tikka 300wsm. I am going to put a 9.5 twist barrel so i can shoot the heavy bullets

Tikka actions come either with a short action bolt stop or a long action bolt stop

The tikka wsm factory mags have a spacer in them to run with the short action bolt throw. I think it is around 2.9 oal or so. I am putting in a long action bolt stop to use the HC billet mag 3.380 oal
Not sure what my OAL will be yet as I am waiting on my barrel to come in.

I can have Any rifle I want to build and have had some really nice rigs but if I was stuck only having a Tikka forever I would be happy as a clam. I fell in love with my neibors 270wsm in a laminate. After I went over it and did my stuff it shot 3/8 inch with Barnes ttsx. I could live with that.
Shep

Tikkas are very easy to set up the way you want. Smooth bolt and great trigger.
I just put a prefit Proof in 6.5 Creed on my T3 that was originally a .243. Bought new bottom metal that was a drop in replacement and it uses my existing mag. Also purchased a new Bell & Carlson stock to fit the Proof barrel. Had my gunsmith install and headspace the barrel for a nominal fee.
The gun is a tack driver. Feels great in my hands. Simple upgrade.

I think the Remington style recoil lug is the way to go. I've never thought the tikka lug was a good idea. I was not aware that the front of the action face needed to be cut back to match up with a 1.2" barrel tenon.

What does an aftermarket stock situation look like with a Remington style lug after facing the action etc...? Is it still a drop in ( typical minor in letting and bed job), or is it more in depth than that? I picked up a tikka a while back and instead of just leaving it alone and shooting it, I'm curious about tinkering with it. My gut says, tikka stock and hogging out the recoil lug and bedding, but I'm usually missing something.

Cutting in the lug should be very easy. I Am not the gunsmith to answer all your tikka stuff. But I have done 100s of 700s. I'm sure a Tikka guru will help out with parts list and such.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.