Next rifle build

Piles of options but if I had to do it over again, I'd do the same thing I have already done over and over.

MSPR-ish prices.
Bighorn TL3 $1250.00 (add multiple heads at 125.00 each)
or
Bighorn origin $850
Proof carbon- $900 have multiple and all shoot exceptional. Usually pay 650.00
Xcaliber carbon- $650? I have this on my rifle currently- so far its bad@ss. I paid 550.00
Trigger Tech diamond- $200?
XLR element magnesium - $1250.00
AICS mags- 70.00 each

For your budget this is what I'd do:
Bighorn origin, xcaliber, TT diamond, XLR element

Piles of options but if I had to do it over again, I'd do the same thing I have already done over and over.

MSPR-ish prices.
Bighorn TL3 $1250.00 (add multiple heads at 125.00 each)
or
Bighorn origin $850
Proof carbon- $900 have multiple and all shoot exceptional. Usually pay 650.00
Xcaliber carbon- $650? I have this on my rifle currently- so far its bad@ss. I paid 550.00
Trigger Tech diamond- $200?
XLR element magnesium - $1250.00
AICS mags- 70.00 each

For your budget this is what I'd do:
Bighorn origin, xcaliber, TT diamond, XLR element
Are you buying prefits for your TL3 or having a smith spin them up?

Are you buying prefits for your TL3 or having a smith spin them up?
Prefits. I've been doing prefits for years and have the tools to swap everything out. If you do a shouldered pre you don't have to mess with gauges and a nut but the nut system works fine. Just requires a go gauge. My current set up is a switch barrel so I swap barrels a few times a year.
PRC.jpg

Help me pick a parts list for my next build. I've already got my mind made up on a couple of things. 308 win with a 20" barrel. After that I'm all ears. Budget is $2800 in parts. Not interested in factory rifles
Do you have a load/ bullet in mind? If a heavy bullet is an option I'd probably try to get something with COL of 2.950" or greater. That should help raise the 53rd Best cartridge ranking ;)

Oh and you can get a action wrench tool and nut from big horn that don't require special tools etc like a savage. I have their 12 point nut and the wrench, plus a barrel vice and it makes swap super easy.
Who are you getting your prefits from? Ive only had one prefit and i had to send it make 3 time & ended up just getting my money back. I would rather have a shouldered prefit than one with a barrel nut. You're getting good accuracy out of yours?

Who are you getting your prefits from? Ive only had one prefit and i had to send it make 3 time & ended up just getting my money back. I would rather have a shouldered prefit than one with a barrel nut. You're getting good accuracy out of yours?
X caliber and proof for carbon is who I've bought through. I've never had an issue with these. I have had shilen, xcaliber, shaw, mcgowen in steel and only had 1 issue with McGowen.

Every rifle I have is capable of .5 moa with hand loads for group testing and targeting low sd. Proof seems to produce best speeds with higher node but this xcaliber I have now has been remarkable. One of the cleanest lapped barrels I've ever seen. It shoots well, speed is decent, and looks good. It's an 18" PRC so I knew it wasn't going to be a speed demon but so far it is right where I hoped it would be.

X caliber and proof for carbon is who I've bought through. I've never had an issue with these. I have had shilen, xcaliber, shaw, mcgowen in steel and only had 1 issue with McGowen.

Every rifle I have is capable of .5 moa with hand loads for group testing and targeting low sd. Proof seems to produce best speeds with higher node but this xcaliber I have now has been remarkable. One of the cleanest lapped barrels I've ever seen. It shoots well, speed is decent, and looks good. It's an 18" PRC so I knew it wasn't going to be a speed demon but so far it is right where I hoped it would be.
That's great to hear, I've been eyeing x caliber for a while but have been hesitant to pull the trigger

That's great to hear, I've been eyeing x caliber for a while but have been hesitant to pull the trigger
I have 3. 2 SS and 1 carbon. Very happy so far. Proof has been hard to work with the past year or 2 so having an option really helps. Right now, if I needed a new barrel, it'd be a xcaliber. I am barrel heavy at the moment but considering a new 6mm like a BR or BRA for comp for next year. I could just run my 223 barrel with 88's though. That thing is super fun to shoot for training and wind calls are similar to 6 and 6.5 with that 88.

Just over $2800 @ about $3000, but here is my list:

Kelbly Atlas Tac (smoothest actions I own, and I own quite a few different actions) $950-1000
20" Proof CF Sendero $700
Manners EH1 w. or w/o. Ultralight cheek piece $650-750
TriggerTech Diamond $260
Hawkins M5 Oberndorf BDL bottom metal or M5 DBM $220
Wyatt's box $45

20201227_123521.jpg