My Next Build

bbraden

Looking to be under 6.75lbs with scope on the next build. My first was a 280AI so I will probably go back with that cartridge again.

I'm thinking Pierce Ti action, Timney or Jewell trigger, carbon wrapped barrel of some type, Pendleton thumbhole stock, and some sort of detachable box magazine that sits flush with the bottom of the stock. Something similar to the kwik klip that Cabelas carries.

Any thoughts on bottom metal and best brands of carbon fiber wrapped barrels?

bbraden,

I have a Pierce titanium action, Christensen Arms 26" carbon wrapped light Sendero barrel, a Terminator 3 brake, a MPI stock with a Hastings Micr-Cell 1.26" recoil pad, and a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 in Talley light weight rings. The action and barrel are about 1.350". I started with a Timney trigger and had trouble with the safety. Finally when I had a deer in the scope , the trigger wouldn't work. I checked to see if the safety was off and it was. They sent me a new in the package replacement. The rifle ready to go weighs eight pounds. I can not work the bolt from my shoulder without the bolt getting stuck. Pierce told me to choke up on the bolt when I called about it!

I have a Weatherby Mark V six lug designed around the .30-06. The action is about 1.140" diameter. It has a Pac-Nor 26" fluted barrel turned to match the Weatherby contour, and a nice home made aluminum brake. It has a Lone Wolf stock with a Hastings Micro-Cell 1.26" recoil pad, and a 5-20X Nikon. Ready to go it is six pounds fifteen ounces. The Timney trigger in it quit working. A local 'smith got it to working again. It quit working again so I sent it to Timney who worked on it and it worked for awhile. When it stopped working I returned it to Timney. The sent me a new in the package. I can work the bolt from my shoulder with the same finesse as when I take it down from my shoulder. I discovered after getting the Timney the Weatherby trigger can be adjusted by a competent gunsmith. Ignorance is bliss, but like the Bible says, "I increase in knowledge is an increase in pain." With the Weatherby you already have a trigger.

If you go with the Weatherby you might find a used .280 and run your reamer into the factory barrel to fireform all your brass. Then you replace it and you are good to go.

I hope these infos help you make an informed decision.

6.75lbs might be a tall order. I see a short action in your future and a hi-tech stock. From my research carbon barrels save weight of equal diameter steel but they are still heavier than sporter barrels. Might do some good to call proof and ask what their barrels weigh in at. You my also be stuck going with a blind mag to meet weight.

Give you an idea my friends sa savage factory tupperware stock blind mag w/ the factory 22" pencil barrel topped w/ a sightron 3-9x40 (15oz) weighs in at around 7lbs (maybe slightly more).

You're right. I need to do some calling around and get some weights. I have a mongrel of a 1962 R700 in .30-06AI that has a Remington XCR composite stock, alum BDL bottom floor plate and about a #3 non fluted Winchester stainless barrel at 23" and with aluminum rings and zeiss 3-9 it weights right at 6.8lbs so that's really what I'm basing my figures off of. I figure if it can get there with that equipment I should be able to do it with all the lightened parts. Proof Researchs' website quotes a .284 22" 1.2" Sendero contour at 2lbs 14.56oz. By the time it's chambered and threaded at the shank it should weigh slightly less than that.
Any recommendations on CF barrel manufacturer?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts