Next rifle build for whitetail & mulleys

unclefish

Just received my new 300 win mag. Like it so much going to have another custom gun built. I really like my 308 but not sure if that is the right caliber. Is there something that is close to that but maybe has better ballistics . If that is the correct term. Around here in CT. 100 yards or less for white tail.Go to Colorado I have my 300wm for elk and those long range shots but when hiking the thick timber something light. Want something that I can shoot for couple hours at the range to . Would like a short action I think. My other question is do you put a brake on it so I can enjoy shooting more. So many different calibers how do you figure out what you might like. This will be primarily be for hunting.

Consider a 6.5 Creedmoor. Short action, lethal factory ammo that shoots well and kills big Midwest whitetails like a pro. Plus, external ballistics will be very similar to your .300 WM. brake or no brake it's your call. My mountain hunting rifles wear them because I am afraid of damaging the crown of the rifle, so the brake is a type of insurance policy for me.

Only 100 yards? You could go as small as a 243 that has virtually no recoil. However the 6.5 Creedmoor or a 260 would probably fit the bill perfectly.

And as a side benefit, the 6.5 Creedmoor is the current cool kid to have at your lunch table.

Have you heard; when meeting the in-laws don't bring up politics, religion, or muzzle brakes...

Fellas seem to be adamant about either loving brakes or hating them (usually because of the noise). I am a fan of them myself and have them on all of my rifles except heirlooms or antique rifles that I did not want to modify.

Although you may be surprised how much more you can shoot just by using a nice high end recoil pad like a Limbsaver Air Tech. I use both, muzzle brakes and the Limbsavers. I pretty much have my entire arsenal converted now-a-days.

I purchased a 6.5 CM in a Savage this year and it is easy on the ears, shoulder and wallet to shoot. Also, very accurate for a out of the box product shooting factory loads. With handloads, it is very very accurate. This would be my choice for medium size game.

Another vote for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Its a devestating round on deer loaded with the 129sst or the 140 A-Max. It's an inherently a very accurate cartridge and a pleasure to shoot.

Another vote for the creedmoor. I picked up a ruger in 6.5 and love it, shoots extremely well. Easy on the shoulder, and still has the ability to shoot past 1k accurately and buck the wind.

If i wanted custom, i would get a lightweight stock w/20 inch barrel topping it with a leightweight leupold. something like a 2.5-10. Finished weight around 7.25 lbs. That would be a great timber rifle in my opinion.

Also would like to add, after shooting close to 400 shots out of this creedmoor, i havent seen the need for a brake, they are very nice to have, but i chose not to on this one simply because my ears cannot handle them without hearing protection while hunting. I tend to forget plugs when i go hunting.

I am a bit based because I am a 6.5 fanatic, however the 6.5 Creedmoor has taken a special place in my battery. Especially with the variety of target ammunition available for reasonable prices. Even though the offerings of hunting ammo leaves something to desire. Hopefully that'll also change over time.

I also love the 6.5 Swede for many of the same reasons, mild recoil, accurate and devastating on pronghorn and deer. Like the Creed, it shoots the 130 & 140 grain pills very well.

The Creed does fit into the short action making it a better choice if that's important for you.

Last edited:
Look at the 6.5x47 Lapua. No problem fitting long VLd bullets in a short action; and ballistically almost the same as a 6.5 CM or a 260.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts